Best practice forum (Archived)

Preventing 'Cancelled' face to face events from being booked

Simone Comelio
Preventing 'Cancelled' face to face events from being booked
by Simone Comelio - Wednesday, 19 February 2014, 6:27 AM

Has anyone come up with a solution to prevent any learners booking themselves onto a cancelled face to face event?

We have a requirement to continue to display the original event as opposed to delete its existence to enable it to be reported upon, however we have been advised by consultants to change the title of the face to face event to display 'Cancelled Induction'. As we have only just launched the LMS to colleagues, there is a potential risk that people may book onto something that is not planned to run.

Any suggestions?

Daniel Bond
Re: Preventing 'Cancelled' face to face events from being booked
by Daniel Bond - Wednesday, 19 February 2014, 6:46 AM
Group Most helpful contributor 2023

I asked this in November (https://totara.community/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=17738) and it has apparently been added as an enhancement bug.

Dan

Simone Comelio
by Simone Comelio - Wednesday, 19 February 2014, 7:01 AM

Thanks Dan!

Liz Katz
by Liz Katz - Wednesday, 19 February 2014, 6:54 AM

I found that setting the "capacity" to 0 (or whatever number of people had already signed up) prevents users from being able to sign up. I then put "Cancelled session" in the room information so it displayed next to the date. However, I still had the problem of users trying to sign up, failing, and not really understanding why--despite the "cancelled" text. I eventually hid the session and put in a label with a notice that the session on bla bla date had been cancelled. 

Simone Comelio
by Simone Comelio - Wednesday, 19 February 2014, 7:02 AM

We will give it a go. Thanks Liz!

John Brown
by John Brown - Wednesday, 19 February 2014, 7:53 AM

Hi Simone,

What we have been doing is we created a extra field in the Face to Face session called status. When they are live classes it says Active when it is Cancelled it clearly says cancelled. Then we unroll all of the individuals and change the maximum to 1 as it will not allow us to change the session max to 0. Then we have created a dummy user who we input into the session to fill that one spot. We like you have the need to report on how many courses were cancelled. The added benefit to the extra field is that in the calendar you can filter out all face to face activities which are cancelled. I do believe that Totara has this as a small fix on their radar but this has been our solution until now.

I hope that helps and if you need more information and or screen shots send me a message.

John

Simone Comelio
by Simone Comelio - Wednesday, 19 February 2014, 9:06 AM

Hi John,

Thanks for the detailed reply. If you do have any screen shots of the workaround that you referenced then that would be great.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

John Brown
by John Brown - Wednesday, 19 February 2014, 10:29 AM

Hi Simone,

Here is two screen shots that may help you.

1.This first one shows you how it looks in a face to face session screen.

2.This one shows you how you edit it and change in the individual session.

You make this additional fields by going to administration-Plugins - Activity Modules- Face to Face. Then you go to the bottom of the menu and create additional fields. I hope that works to help you. I can provide more if needed

John