Best practice forum (Archived)

Ability for Manager to book their staff onto training courses

Steph Wild
Ability for Manager to book their staff onto training courses
by Steph Wild - Friday, 28 February 2014, 6:35 AM
Group Learn Site Administrator

Hi,

I work for the NHS and we would like to allow our managers to book their staff onto training sessions once ward rotas etc.. have been allocated.

Currently in order to do this they have to have access to be able to book (or cancel) anybody in the organisation onto (or from) a session not just their own team. 

Are there any plans to limit this functionality and enable managers the access to just book their own staff onto training sessions without seeing the whole organisation, it would be really useful.

Steph

John Brown
Re: Ability for Manager to book their staff onto training courses
by John Brown - Friday, 28 February 2014, 1:48 PM

Hi Steph

Our developers lambda Solutions has developed a customization to be able to do this. We are currently in the process of testing this customization. If we feel that everything is working as directed we would like to submit it to Totara developers so that they can see if it is something they could build into the Totara core code. If you need this very soon i could maybe send you our developers information and you could contact them directly? This was a must for us as well thus why we built it as a customization.

John Brown

Daniel  Mudgett
by Daniel Mudgett - Friday, 28 February 2014, 2:49 PM

Hi,

This is an important component for us as well. We just went live with the system earlier this month. Managers expect to be able to sign their team members up in a simple easy way. We looked at learning plans for this but it was a lot more involved so we haven't enable that yet as it requires a lot more process work as well as tuning.  We'd be interested in this as well.

Daniel

Rickard Skiold
by Rickard Skiold - Sunday, 2 March 2014, 7:54 AM

Hi,

We've actually developed (with the assistance of Synergy Learning) this functionality and already contributed it to Totara - and are hoping that it will make it into 2.6.

In addition to letting managers sign up (or cancel) their team members to a session, the extension also lets managers reserve (un-named) seats for a specific session. Rules related to whether reservations are allowed, how many seats that can be reserved, deadline for reservations are configurable. Administrators can also make a reservation on behalf of a specific manager.

//Rickard

Grant Beevers
by Grant Beevers - Monday, 3 March 2014, 1:54 AM

Hi Rickard,

Any word that this HAS actually made it into 2.6?

Cheers

Grant

Rickard Skiold
by Rickard Skiold - Monday, 3 March 2014, 4:21 AM

Not really, but close - below is the response we got a few days ago:

“The patch is in review and has gone through a number of patchsets. The code should make it into Totara 2.6 but we are still reviewing it to make sure there is nothing wrong.”

//Rickard

Andre Yamin
by Andre Yamin - Thursday, 6 March 2014, 4:25 AM

Hi All,

This is a very important feature.

I`m corrently working on a customization to make this possible on Totara 2.2 for a client.

I would appreciate any code sharing :-)

Thanks,

André.

Steph Wild
by Steph Wild - Tuesday, 4 March 2014, 5:27 AM
Group Learn Site Administrator

Hi John,

Thanks for this response, hopefully there will be a fix in 2.6 but if not contact with your developers would be great or a copy of the code?

Many thanks

Steph

Niek Hogervorst
by Niek Hogervorst - Wednesday, 5 March 2014, 3:49 AM

Hi all,

A very interesting discussion. If I understand this correctly, this only covers the sign up for F2F sessions.

I am wondering how this applies to enrolment in general. How do you allow managers to enrol their team onto an e-learning course for instance? Using the Manual enrolment plugin would allow them to see all users in the system.

Thanks for sharing,

Niek

Rickard Skiold
by Rickard Skiold - Wednesday, 5 March 2014, 4:30 AM

Hi Niek,

Yes, in our solution it only covers F2F-activities. Don't know if it could be used as some kind of workaround, e.g., by using a hidden F2F-activity to enrol team members as students to a course (containing no visible F2F-activities)..?

//Rickard

Amir Elion
by Amir Elion - Wednesday, 5 March 2014, 8:04 AM

Hi Niek. I believe that is already possible via the learning plan workflows.

Managers can view and create learning plans for them team members and add courses with priority and due dates to the plan.

these courses may include all kind of activities including Elearning modules.

If you want your managees to know what's the content of the course I suggest stating it in the course description or allowing guest acces to the course.

Amir