Best practice forum (Archived)

Report by System Role

Steph Wild
Report by System Role
by Steph Wild - Friday, 28 February 2014, 6:36 AM
Group Learn Site Administrator

Hi Again!

I could be missing something but is there a report I can run which will give me a list of staff allocated to a specific role e.g. all users with the role of Staff Manager?

Thanks

Steph

? ?
Re: Report by System Role
by ? ? - Sunday, 2 March 2014, 1:25 PM

Only at the site-level context Site Admin -> Users -> Permissions -> Assign system roles.

The Staff Manager role is usually assigned at the level of the User context, I'm not sure if there's an easy way to list all those at the moment. A Roles & Contexts report would be quite complex and on a large site would have millions of rows. I can see how it would be useful in certain circumstances - like finding all the people currently assigned as Managers - but given the way the Moodle role/context/capability system works it might be a bit tricky to implement in a way that the resulting data would be understandable.

I can file an enhancement request though. In the meantime anyone else ever done any customisations for such a report, or have discovered any workarounds?

Steph Wild
Re: Report by System Role
by Steph Wild - Monday, 3 March 2014, 1:36 AM
Group Learn Site Administrator

Hi Ciaran,

Thanks for the response, I think it would be useful to be able to run a report to identify which staff have been assigned specific roles and also to be able to include their email address so that it becomes easy to (for example) send all staff managers an email when new functionality is introduced. 

We are currently using a workaround whereby if someone is allocated as a manager then there is a 'tick' box on their profile which we use and then can report be this however it is abit of a pain and obviously not 'human proof' I'm sure some will end up getting missed.

An enhancement would be great - thanks.

Steph