Best practice forum (Archived)

Totara Sync

Sarah Jane Ashcroft
Totara Sync
by Sarah Jane Ashcroft - Monday, 10 March 2014, 5:21 AM

Hi,

I hope that someone can help me with Totara Sync. I have managed to upload a new organisational hierarchy via Sync and now would like to match users with the organisation and manager in the positions area. I assume that this is done through Totara Sync. I have amended the elements to allow only updates and made sure the csv file does not have any additional hidden characters. I am getting success messages but when I check the individual's account there is still no organisation or manager identified against the primary position area.

Also I have tried to do this with people who have left the organisation - I need to move them into a different organisation hierarchy and assign them to a leaver manager - but I am getting error messages saying this person exists and therefore has been skipped.

Any advice or guidance on this will be appreciated.

Thanks

Sarah Jane

Tom Ireland
Re: Totara Sync
by Tom Ireland - Monday, 10 March 2014, 5:51 AM
Group Totara

Hi, Sarah Jane

Have you applied an ID for each item in your Organisation?

You can map users to their appropriate Organisation by applying the Organisation ID to a field in your user .csv file. This is the same for assigning a manager. You will have to make sure the manager exists or comes before the user who they're mapped to in your .csv file.

The way we did it was to upload our hierarchy with appropriate IDs (this can be what you like, although we used a nested numbering system as we have multiple levels). Then we uploaded all users without the manager ID field to make sure everyone was in the system and then re-upload the same file, including the manager ID so that they were mapped correctly.

See http://help.totaralms.com/CSV_Files.htm to view appropriate fields for org and manager IDs.

I'm not sure I understand your last bit about mapping users to a leaver manager. I assume if they are deleted, you could map in a similar way as I mentioned above and change the appropriate manager and org ID in your .csv file.

If you're fortunate enough to have a development environment, it's worth running a few tests in there first to ensure you get to grips with how it works.

I hope the above makes sense.

Cheers

Tom

Sarah Jane Ashcroft
by Sarah Jane Ashcroft - Monday, 10 March 2014, 7:07 AM

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the reply. Here is a line from the upload (in the spreadsheet the numbers are in full - I have added *** for confidentiality here):

idnumber timemodified username deleted orgidnumber
1******6 0 1******6 0 435|R156|Integrated Nursing Teams|ELHT|Community

The orgidnumber correlates exactly to the id number in the organisational hierarchy.

When I get the organisation bit working, then I can map the managers and as part of that exercise, I would like to move staff who have left the organisation to a generic manager ID which I have set up.

Can you see what I am doing wrong or do you have any other ideas about why I am not managing to get this to work?

Thanks

Sarah Jane

Tom Ireland
by Tom Ireland - Monday, 10 March 2014, 8:49 AM
Group Totara

Hi, Sarah Jane

One thing I wouId normally check, would be to ensure that the appropriate field e.g. orgidnumber has been checked as a field to import in the CSV source settings for users.

I'm not sure how the orgidnumber should be formatted with regard to what characters you can use. In our company, we only use a number as opposed to a string of text, special characters and numbers as you have shown above.

Other than what I've mentioned above, if you're still struggling, I would encourage you to raise a support ticket if you're experiencing technical difficulty using Totara Sync.

It's worth mentioning that if you're going to raise a ticket, provide as much information as you possibly can for the support team. This normally makes for a speedier resolution if you can provide plenty of info, in my experience, but it depends on the problem.

Cheers

Tom

Sarah Jane Ashcroft
by Sarah Jane Ashcroft - Tuesday, 11 March 2014, 1:04 AM

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply. I managed to sort the issue and match learners to organisations - found that the Totara sync box against each learner account needed ticking.

Thanks for your help with this.

Sarah Jane

Tom Ireland
by Tom Ireland - Tuesday, 11 March 2014, 1:26 AM
Group Totara

Hi, Sarah Jane

Good spot! I'm glad to hear you got it sorted.

Cheers

Tom