Best practice forum (Archived)

Quick Links that all see

Grant Beevers
Quick Links that all see
by Grant Beevers - Monday, 10 March 2014, 4:59 PM

Hi folks,

Is it possible to add items to the Quick Links block which all users wills ee in their Quick Links block on their dashboard when they login?

Here is my situation - I have created a Help course with videos etc which I want all user to see when they login under Quick Links block. I have created an audience for whole community and attached that audience to the course. The course appears as normal for all users under the Courses Overview block in dashboard, but really want this listed under Quick Links ie. force this to appear under Quick Links for all.

Is this possible, or is Quick Links just a user generated block for the user to manage their own quick links?

Cheers

Grant

me
Re: Quick Links that all see
by George Angus - Tuesday, 11 March 2014, 4:01 PM
Group Totara

Hi Grant,

This is straightforward enough, just edit the links and put in whatever you want. Its not a user generated block as far as a learner is concerned.

cheers,

George.

Grant Beevers
by Grant Beevers - Tuesday, 11 March 2014, 4:14 PM

Yeah, wish it worked that way, but I have added some links at the technical admin level hoping that all users would see those links, and it's not happening.

me
by George Angus - Tuesday, 11 March 2014, 5:00 PM
Group Totara

Hi Grant,

Ciaran's put me right on that one, the properties of the block are very much dependent on its context! 

G.

Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer)
by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Tuesday, 11 March 2014, 4:54 PM

Hey Grant,

I think the Quick Links block behaviour is very dependent on page context. If you add the block to the Home page for example the block will be working at a site context level so you can add links to courses, external sites etc and everyone will see them. However on user-specific pages like My Learning or View Profile the block will be working at a user's context level so each user will see their own individual custom QuickLinks block with their own set of links.

Adding the block to the Home page seems to work OK so maybe that would be the best place for what you want to achieve.