Best practice forum (Archived)

Dynamic audience not refreshed?

Marta Santamaria
Dynamic audience not refreshed?
by Marta Santamaria - Wednesday, 12 March 2014, 3:02 AM

Hi all,

I've created a dynamic audience based on completion of a program. A learner has finished the program but he doesn't belong to the audience.

I've executed cron but the audience is still empty. What have I done wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Marta

Alan Bradshaw
Re: Dynamic audience not refreshed?
by Alan Bradshaw - Wednesday, 12 March 2014, 6:46 AM

Not every cron job runs when you execute cron. Some things have their own schedule and I believe Audience assignment will wait for up to six hours.

Marta Santamaria
by Marta Santamaria - Wednesday, 12 March 2014, 10:29 AM

Thanks, Alan,

I've been waiting for more than 6 hours (in fact, for more than one day) and the audience doesn't contain the users who have finished the program. Any idea?

Thanks again,

Marta

Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer)
by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Wednesday, 12 March 2014, 7:31 PM

Hi Marta,

I believe there may be a bug in the Audience Program Completion rule when you only have one program selected. I'll investigate further.

A dynamic audience should pick up the currently-completed users as soon as you add and approve the rule, then if the Audience Sync enrolment plugin is enabled (Site Administration -> Plugins -> Enrolments) then that should run and sync the audience members once an hour.

Tobias Pils
by Tobias Pils - Thursday, 13 March 2014, 4:16 AM

Hi all,

I could reproduce the problem in one of our systems and it looks like a bug to me.

What I found playing around in the DB is that it seems to be connected to the additional DB-entries for coursesets in the prog_completion table. When a user completes a program with one course set in it there are two entries in the DB table - as opposed to one entry for a completed course in the respective table. If I'm not mistaken the same function is used for creating the SQL where-clause for programs and courses.

I hope that helps.

All the best,

Tobias

by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Thursday, 13 March 2014, 3:34 PM

Thanks Tobias,

Yeah my investigations led me to the same place, overall program completion is stored on the record where coursesetid=0, status=1 and timecompleted>0 but the current audience rules only check for timecompleted across all coursesets, so programs with multiple coursesets may go a bit wrong.

I have a patch in review for testing so hopefully this will get fixed in one of the upcoming point releases.

Marta Santamaria
by Marta Santamaria - Friday, 14 March 2014, 1:16 AM

Hi Ciaran and Tobias,

Audience Sync was enabled. So, as you point out it seems a bug.

We're waiting for the patch.

Thank you,

Marta

by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Monday, 17 March 2014, 9:08 PM

A fix for this issue was included in today's (18 March 2014) release of Totara 2.5.10

Marta Santamaria
by Marta Santamaria - Friday, 21 March 2014, 5:27 AM

Thank you, Ciaran, now it works!

by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Monday, 7 April 2014, 7:05 PM

A fix for this issue was included in today's (8th April 2014) release of Totara 2.4.19

by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Monday, 21 April 2014, 8:52 PM

A fix for this issue was included in today's (22nd April 2014) release of Totara 2.2.28