Best practice forum (Archived)

Enhancement Request - Removing Enrollment and Completion Data

A Eisenberg
Enhancement Request - Removing Enrollment and Completion Data
by Alan Eisenberg - Tuesday, 27 May 2014, 4:01 AM

I have an enhancement request that I think would be important for many people. We constantly have people who shouldn't have been enrolled in a course get enrolled and then have to get removed.

Once enrolled, a completion record report is created.

I can unenroll them from the course, but can't clear their report record without unlocking all completion records and recompiling those through CRON. This seems like a dangerous and risky option to me (for example, once we changed one quiz question and upon the completion recompiling, then everyone wasn't complete due to that change).

I would humbly request that a checkbox be added next to the unenroll option to also allow all report records for that course to be expunged individually. That way risk is reduced and more control is given to the administrator. Is that a viable option or is there a reason not to do that?

Alan

Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer)
Re: Enhancement Request - Removing Enrollment and Completion Data
by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Tuesday, 27 May 2014, 3:10 PM

Hi Alan,

Wouldn't it be easier to just turn off the "completion starts on enrollment" setting in the first place? Also, how are people being constantly enrolled on courses they shouldn't be on, that sounds like Audience rules and other procedures need to be checked first.

Completion is tricky and there are many cron and event-driven functions that add completion records, also in many industries there are legal requirements to hold on to such records, so I'm not sure if we would want to add an enhancement like this as it could cause more problems than it solves if someone accidentally used it and wiped a set of completion records.

A Eisenberg
by Alan Eisenberg - Wednesday, 28 May 2014, 10:13 AM

Hi Ciaran:

The problem tends to be on the client side for us. They enroll people that shouldn't be enrolled and then want to unenroll them and clear their records from the reports. So, then we are stuck doing the clean-up work. In some cases it's just a handful of people, so it's a bit scary to undo completions for all and hope it all goes back together correctly. Thanks for the explanation though.

Alan

Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer)
by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Wednesday, 28 May 2014, 3:35 PM

Hi Alan,

I've just heard that there is a project to add a more comprehensive completion record editing tool that would allow admins to selectively remove and edit particular completion records. Sounds like it would be just what you need! It is currently planned to be included in 2.7 this October. I'll add a note that you are interested and keep you informed on any progress in the coming months.

A Eisenberg
by Alan Eisenberg - Thursday, 29 May 2014, 12:04 PM

Hi Ciaran:

That's great news. I would hope that only Site Managers/Administrators could do this, but it would be a big help.

The way I think about it, it's like signing up for a class at the University. If you unenroll by a certain date, it doesn't appear on your record. But right now in Totara, there's no easy way to do that and, to me, there should be. Happy to hear it's planned and please do keep me informed.

b/r,

Alan