Best practice forum (Archived)

Manager Delegation

Joseph Muldoon
Manager Delegation
by Joseph Muldoon - Thursday, 3 October 2013, 8:33 AM

Hi,

I was looking on the Totara Roadmap and noticed the inclusion of a new feature 'Manager Delegation'. Can you give me some more information as to what that feature will entail?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Simon Coggins
Re: Manager Delegation
by Simon Coggins - Thursday, 3 October 2013, 4:31 PM
Group Totara

Hi Joe,

Here's a brief description of the feature:

An additional, temporary "Manager" role can be assigned to a user in another user's context. This additional role takes precedence over the current manager, i.e totara_get_manager() returns the temporary manager for a user. Having the additional Manager role ensures the current manager still has access to all functionality for a team member, but all manager tasks that require action will be delegated to the temporary manager. This also means that all alerts will go to the temporary manager as well. The configuration (enabling/disabling, defaults, who can be temp managers) for for this functionality can be found on the "User Policies" admin configuration page. The functionality can be found on the Primary Position page for a user, where a temporary manager and an expiry date can be set. Setting a temporary manager or changing the expiry date will send out alerts to all relevant parties: current manager, temporary manager and staff member. Permissions allow for temporary manager assignment by either staff member themselves, or another user with the totara/core:delegateownmanager permission (or both). Temporary manager expiry and cleanup tasks is handled via a cron job.

Hope that helps,

Simon

Joseph Muldoon
by Joseph Muldoon - Friday, 4 October 2013, 12:58 AM

Hi Simon,

It does indeed, thanks very much!

Regards,

Joe

Niek Hogervorst
by Niek Hogervorst - Wednesday, 5 March 2014, 3:55 AM

Hi there,

Assigning a temporary manager seems to be something that's done per employee. So if a manager has 30 people assigned to her, and she goes on maternity leave, would she have to set her replacement per user? Is there a way to do this in bulk?

thanks,

Niek

Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer)
by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Sunday, 27 April 2014, 5:41 PM

Not at the moment but I can see how it would be useful. I'll add it to the ever-growing list of enhancement requests!

At the moment you would have to do some sort of custom script to modify the pos_assignment and temporary_manager tables.

Michael Salomonsson
by Michael Salomonsson - Friday, 25 April 2014, 1:06 AM

Hi everyone!

We have a client that is also very interested in the bulk operation of the existing functionality.

Best Regards,

Michael Salomonsson

Project Manager

Xtractor

Kimberly Christmas
by Kimberly Christmas - Friday, 2 May 2014, 12:52 PM

I would also like to be able to bulk delegate employees to a manager.