Best practice forum (Archived)

searching for ideas and tips for supporting materials

Heejung Laird
searching for ideas and tips for supporting materials
by Heejung Laird - Thursday, 24 April 2014, 7:54 AM

Hello,

I am wondering if there are any Totara users who can share some ideas and tips regarding utilizing /uploading additional supporting materials, such as a user guide, job aids, etc.  We are close to launching the first LMS in our organisation and trying to add up supporting materials with tutorials.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Best,

Heejung Laird

Christopher Mandel
Re: searching for ideas and tips for supporting materials
by Christopher Mandel - Wednesday, 30 April 2014, 5:58 PM

We created a Help page in Site pages with this type of information. We then customized a new tab at the top for help, but you can even create an HTML block on the My Learning page that contains a link to your help content.

-Chris

Heejung Laird
by Heejung Laird - Thursday, 1 May 2014, 8:36 AM

Thanks so much, Chris! I will definately try.

Can you suggest anywhere/anyway I can find resources/materials to teach myself regarding how to add supporting materials? (job aids, documents, etc.) I just started getting myself familiar with Totara.

Many thanks and best,

Heejung

Amir Elion
by Amir Elion - Thursday, 1 May 2014, 9:19 AM

Dear Heejung,

Here are some ideas and directions for you to consider. These are just a selected few pointers from an extensive implementation guide we use with our clients when implementing Totara.

First of all, make a list of the personas affected by the LMS. i.e the types of common users of the platform. Often this may include employees/learners, line managers, senior managers, trainers, HR staff, Superusers, or perhaps clients.

For each persona think consider the following:

• What are the most important benefits the LMS offers them?
  • How will it support their learning and performance needs?
  • What messages can you use to deliver those benefits?
  • What are the most common actions they are expected to perform on Totara, and how can you build and support their knowledge and skills to perform those actions?

Secondly, I often like to look at an LMS implementation from a change management perspective. You can use a change management framework (for example John Kotter's) to plan and support the change management, to drive for the change and to secure it over time. So you might try to clarify the burning platform for the change, build a coalition, create a vision for the change, use change agents, and so forth.

Hope this helps,

Amir

Heejung Laird
by Heejung Laird - Friday, 2 May 2014, 5:59 PM

Dar Amir,

Thanks so much for the wonderful advice. Yes, I agree to your approach to look at LMS implementation from a change management framework. New technology implementation can be huge change for people at work and we should consider multiple aspects simultaneously (people, structure, culture, technical, etc.).  

Again, I appreciate your help.

Best,

Heejung