Best practice forum (Archived)

Message Notifications - Task Vs Alert

Michelle Lamont
Message Notifications - Task Vs Alert
by Michelle Lamont - Sunday, 3 August 2014, 7:12 PM

Hi,

This is more than likely an easy question to answer - I would like to clarify what activities in Totara are classified as Tasks for Task Notifications and Alerts for Alert Notifications.  If Appraisal related messages don't fall into one of two these types, can you also please confirm what the relevant message type is.

Thanks

Michelle

me
Re: Message Notifications - Task Vs Alert
by George Angus - Sunday, 3 August 2014, 8:08 PM
Group Totara

Hi Michelle,

Some activities have both Alerts & Tasks, most of the messages are just messages - can I ask what you want to do with them?

thanks,

George.

Michelle Lamont
Re: Message Notifications - Task Vs Alert
by Michelle Lamont - Sunday, 3 August 2014, 9:34 PM

Thanks George.

I have an overall interest in finding out more about tasks and alerts, and to know which activity will trigger a task and which will trigger an alert, or both.  When we 'go live' it would be great to advise our learners what to expect when certain things happen.  FYI - we have Popup Notifications deactivated.

The reason I'm raising this question now is due to not receiving an appraisal message (email, task or alert) when I activated a pilot appraisal and therefore wanted to check the required message output settings.

The appraisal contains 3 messages as follows.  There are 4 assigned learners and I'm the only learner with the ability to receive emails from Totara (emailstop=0)

1. Appraisal activation - send immediately to learners
  2. Reminder - 2 days before event due when incomplete to learners
  3. Completed - upon stage completion (only 1 stage) to learners

The due date is the 8th August, so I don't expect to receive message 2 until the 6th and message 3 until complete.  I plan to hold off completing the appraisal until the 8th, to test the entire process.

The attached document contains 2 pictures of my task and alert settings.  The 1st pic shows my settings when the appraisal was activated.  The 2nd pic shows my settings now.

Hope this gives you enough information.

Thanks

Michelle