Best practice forum (Archived)

Grading Skills Assessments

Michelle Lamont
Grading Skills Assessments
by Michelle Lamont - Tuesday, 19 August 2014, 6:07 PM

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice/ideas.

Practical/observable skills assessments are common practice in our organisation and I'm looking for the best and easiest way to capture and grade these in Totara.

The overall goal is to:

• provide the learner with multiple attempts to pass the assessment.  This will depend on the type of assessment, as some assessments will only allow 1 attempt.
  • the learner will not need to perform anything in Totara themselves.
  • the grade scale for the majority of assessments will be Not Yet Competent / Competent, which is setup in Totara.  If a learner is graded 'Not Yet Competent' for the 1st attempt, they obviously don't pass and are required to complete the assessment again.  If the 2nd attempt is graded as 'Competent' they in turn complete the course and the course is automatically marked as complete, based on the Course Grade being 100.
  • each attempt must be recorded in Totara for reporting

I've tried adding 'Offline Activities' to a course and also set up a separate course shell (with no activities) and manually added grade items via Grade Administration > Categories and Items > Full View.  Each method seems to work to a point, as far as grading learners as Competent and Not Yet Competent and their course grades in the grade book update to 100%, but the overall course won't automatically mark as complete even though in Course Completion settings the only condition enabled is 'Course Grade - 100.0'.

I've attached a document with a couple of screen shots.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Michelle

me
Re: Grading Skills Assessments
by George Angus - Tuesday, 19 August 2014, 9:05 PM
Group Totara

Hi Michelle,

I edited the Grader report directly, the marks pulled through and the Completion report was correct.

Can you have a try?

regards,

George.

Michelle Lamont
by Michelle Lamont - Tuesday, 19 August 2014, 10:33 PM

Hi George - both methods I tried I was editing the grader report directly, well I thought I was.  There's a picture of the Grader Report in my initial post, which may help to confirm.

There's obviously a setting I'm missing or have setup incorrectly. 

me
by George Angus - Wednesday, 20 August 2014, 2:46 PM
Group Totara

Hi Michelle,

Can you send me a screenshot completion settings? 

cheers,

George.

Michelle Lamont
by Michelle Lamont - Wednesday, 20 August 2014, 8:48 PM

Hi George,

I've attached a screen shot of the Course Completion settings.  The collapsed sections in the picture don't contain any selected criteria.  I hope this is what you're after.

The 3 offline activities (Assessments) in the course don't have any activity completions enabled.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks, Michelle

me
by George Angus - Sunday, 24 August 2014, 9:32 PM
Group Totara

Hi Michelle,

Can you go to the users RoL and click on the completion status bar?

br,

G.

Michelle Lamont
by Michelle Lamont - Monday, 25 August 2014, 12:23 AM

Hi George,
Michelle Lamont
by Michelle Lamont - Monday, 25 August 2014, 12:23 AM

Hi George,

I went back in, following your request to click on the users RoL and thought I would give the whole process one more go from scratch and I'm happy to say, I got it to work.

Thanks for your help.

Michelle

me
by George Angus - Monday, 25 August 2014, 2:12 PM
Group Totara

Hi Michelle,

Glad to help - though did you find out what the problem was? 

cheers,

George.

Michelle Lamont
by Michelle Lamont - Monday, 25 August 2014, 6:19 PM

Hi George,

Sounds a bit strange, but I'm not 100% sure what the exact problem was (apart from user error).  I suspect a major part of the problem was not giving the course completion enough time to update.  I was expecting course completion to occur immediately once the learner achieved the course completion criteria, and when it didn’t update immediately I naturally assumed the settings were wrong, so of course I continued to change the settings.

Once I realised the above, I started a new test course with test learners from scratch and made sure the following settings were correct:

1. Activity Completion settings – student must receive a grade to complete this activity
  2. Course Completion settings – “Any of the selected activities to be complete” and “Required course grade 100.0”
  3. In the Grader Report – I set the Category Grade Maximum (100.0) and Pass Grade (100.0).  In each activity, I set the Grade to Pass

See attached for end result.

Thanks again

Michelle