Best practice forum (Archived)

Course Completion Settings

Steph Wild
Course Completion Settings
by Steph Wild - Friday, 22 August 2014, 1:36 AM
Group Learn Site Administrator

Hi,

Looking for a bit of help.

I have a few courses where one of the completions settings for the course is actually another course, I assumed that this would then mean that if someone completed Course 2 it would update Course 1 with the completion date for Course 2.  However this doesn't seem to be happening.

These courses are also linked to certifications which adds a layer of complexity but I'm hoping that if I can understand this first bit then I can work out the rest?

S...

This forum post has been removed
Friday, 22 August 2014, 10:18 PM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
me
Re: Course Completion Settings
by George Angus - Sunday, 24 August 2014, 8:33 PM
Group Totara

Hi Brandon,

This is a separate issue which is being worked on at present - someone will be in touch in due course.

regards,

George.

me
by George Angus - Sunday, 24 August 2014, 8:29 PM
Group Totara

Hi Steph,

You still on v 2.5.13.1? 

cheers,

George.

Steph Wild
by Steph Wild - Tuesday, 26 August 2014, 1:37 AM

Hi George,

No we're on 2.5.15 and going to update to 2.5.17 in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks

Steph

me
by George Angus - Tuesday, 26 August 2014, 9:04 PM
Group Totara

Hi Steph,

Can you explain what the completion set-up is exactly - a screenshot of the settings would be good, my understanding is if you have several completion conditions then the last one completed would determine the completion date, is this what your trying to do?

cheers,

George.

Steph Wild
by Steph Wild - Wednesday, 27 August 2014, 8:58 AM

Hi George,

Unfortunately I can't send a screenshot as I had to remove the completion settings using the delete the existing data as the outcome was eratic and causing havoc with my completion settings however I'll try and explain-

I have a Basic Life Support course and the completions settings were set so that the learner could complete 'Any' of the selected activies OR 'Any' of two other courses (Intermediate Life Support or Advanced Life Support).  The outcome being if the learner completed one of the Basic Life Support activities then the record updated as you would expect however if they updated via either of the other courses then the date bore no resemblance to the date the course was actually completed, not sure if it was displaying when the CRON picked the information up - all very bizarre, I would expect the dates for the completion of Basic Life Support to match the date of completion of the other course, not a few days later (the other option is that it could be picking up the date when the course status changes to 'Fully attended' as this can be a few days after the course has actually taken place?).

Hope this gives you a little bit more to go on.

Thanks - Steph

me
by George Angus - Wednesday, 27 August 2014, 4:12 PM
Group Totara

Hi Steph,

Aha! Im pretty convinced this issue is to do with the actual completion date of the conditional course - I set up a test course using an assignment activity and hovered over the users's completion status bar to have a look at what was going on - everything worked as expected. Can I have sight of the settings for the conditional course?

cheers,

George.

Steph Wild
by Steph Wild - Tuesday, 2 September 2014, 1:55 AM

Hi George,

Thanks for the response.  I've attached the completion setting for both of the conditional courses, sorry they're abit fuzzy but I think you'll be able to make them out.

Ta

Steph

me
by George Angus - Tuesday, 2 September 2014, 2:58 PM
Group Totara

Hi Steph,

Can you confirm what the actual dates are? I suspect this is connect with the issues discussed here - that is the difference between the Completion date and the session date.

cheers,

George.

Steph Wild
by Steph Wild - Thursday, 4 September 2014, 8:32 AM

Hi George,

I'm having to work from memory on this as I had to switch all the data back due to it not working as I expected.  However, I do know that when staff complete either the ILS or ALS course the completion date is the session date but when this appeared as the completion date for BLS (as per the course completion settings for BLS) it did not match and was a few days later. I'm really hoping this makes sense!!!

I can confirm that all our facetoface sessions are set to complete when a member of staff has 'Fully Attended' the course.

Thanks - Steph

me
by George Angus - Thursday, 4 September 2014, 4:49 PM
Group Totara

Hi Steph,

I set up course with a f2f 5th Sept completion activity. I then set up another course with the f2f course as completion. I enrolled a learner in both. I then changed the date on my machine to the 7th and went in and marked the f2f as fully attended. The dependent course is then completed on the 7th as expected, but the activity was completed on the 5th. Is this what you are seeing?

cheers,

George.

Steph Wild
by Steph Wild - Monday, 8 September 2014, 1:45 AM

Hi George,

Yes, I suspect this is what we are seeing, I'll do abit more testing at this end. 

Quick question though - shouldn't the completion date of the second course be the actual session date of the first course as opposed to the date that the sessions completion was added to the system?  I would expect both dates to match?

Thanks - Steph

me
by George Angus - Monday, 8 September 2014, 8:43 PM
Group Totara

Hi Steph,

If you want the actual session date to be used for the completion date then in the Activity Completion just tick the Require Status completion option/s and NOT the grade.

cheers,

George.

me
by George Angus - Thursday, 18 September 2014, 4:19 PM
Group Totara

Hi Steph - how you getting on?

G.

Steph Wild
by Steph Wild - Monday, 22 September 2014, 2:20 AM

Hi George,

Still struggling - I've set up a test scenario as follows:

1. I have created 2 test courses, both of which had a f2f activity in them.  Course completions for Test Course 1 are set so that if a member of staff attends Test Course 2 this should complete Test Course 1.
  2. All f2f activity completions are set to complete when the staff members status is 'Fully Attended'.
  3. On Friday my test person was 'Fully Attended' on Test Course 2 and this displayed as a course completion immediately on Test Course 2 with the correct date.
  4. There is still no completion for Test Course 1 and I've double checked all settings.  I've attached a copy of the course completion setting for Test Course 1 to see if you can see any problems.

Thanks for your help with this George, much appreciated.

Best wishes
Steph

me
by George Angus - Tuesday, 30 September 2014, 3:49 PM
Group Totara

Hi Steph,

If you click on the course completion bar in the user's RoL then you should be able to see what the problem is.

cheers,

George.

Steph Wild
by Steph Wild - Thursday, 16 October 2014, 2:15 AM

Hi George,

I've now sorted this out and got it to work thanks but... 

The date of the actual course attended (the activity is set to complete when fully attended) is correct but the date which then displays for the dependant course displays as the date the actual course was updated not the session date. 

I would have expected both dates to match if the completion setting on the activity was set to fully attended?

Thanks for your help with this.

Steph