Best practice forum (Archived)

SCORM packages created with Articulate Storyline

Stephanie Krist
SCORM packages created with Articulate Storyline
by Stephanie Krist - Monday, 5 January 2015, 7:36 AM

Hi there,

We are having some issues with SCORM packages that have been created in Articulate Storyline and how they work when the user exits the course without having completed it: When I launch such a SCORM package as a user, work through some pages and then click the exit button: then the system displays this attempt with a red flag as having “failed”?! The user needs to start a new attempt and need to work through everything again. Normally a status like this will be displayed as “Incomplete” and the user will be able to enter the e-learning package within the same attempt, to be able to proceed where he left the last time and is able to complete it. It should just display the completion status as having failed when the user failed the final test, but not when he just left the package.

-       Is it possible that the behaviour of the system was different in 2.2? Now we are on 2.5.

-       Could you help with some comments if we can change anything in the system to change this behaviour? Please just let me know if you need further information.

Many thanks and best regards

Steph

me
Re: SCORM packages created with Articulate Storyline
by George Angus - Tuesday, 13 January 2015, 12:23 PM
Group Totara

Hi Steph,

Can you send me a copy of the SCORM your having problems with?

thanks,

George.

Stephanie Krist
by Stephanie Krist - Wednesday, 14 January 2015, 1:43 AM

Hi George,

Thanks a lot for coming back to me.

Please find attachd a SCORM package created in Articulate. This is just a final test, but also here we have the issue that leaving this e-learning package without having completed it will shown a "failed" in the LMS. And it is the same behaviour in SCORM packages that have content and a final test. When leaving it during the package the user cannot proceed within the same attempt. He needs to start a new attempt and needs to work through everything again. Would be so great to get the former behaviour back and not to have a failed and a complete visible in the reports.

Many thanks for your investigations.

Best regards

Steph

me
by George Angus - Wednesday, 14 January 2015, 2:36 PM
Group Totara

Hi Steph,

I strongly suspect this is due to the changes made by Moodle to the SCORM module recently. Could you ask your partners to submit a support ticket so we can track - and could you inform them of the completion settings? Ill deal with it as soon as I have the ticket info.

thanks,

George.

Stephanie Krist
by Stephanie Krist - Thursday, 15 January 2015, 2:15 AM

Thanks a lot George. I will raise the ticket immediately.

Many thanks and regards

Steph

Tim Nicholls
by Tim Nicholls - Friday, 16 January 2015, 9:43 AM

Hi Stephanie,

Just to let you know, we have some similar issue with scorm packages made in Articulate Storyline. One of our clients is reporting that the course is showing as incomplete even though the user is completing the full course. When you go to look at the scorm report, the total time of the attempt is always on or around 0.5 seconds.

it would be interesting to know if this is the same with the issue you are having.

Thanks

Tim

Stephanie Krist
by Stephanie Krist - Monday, 19 January 2015, 1:56 AM

Hi Tim,

No, this is working correctly for us: in our reports the Articulate Storyline course is showing for the user as having "passed" and the correct total time of the attempt is displayed. Please see screen shot attached.

But we had a similar issue last year and Kineo applied a patch to our live site which causes review mode to be passed to a SCORM module correctly (ticket GKN-174). I have in my mind that this reslolved the issue and possibly this also helps you?

Best regards

Steph

Michelle Lamont
by Michelle Lamont - Thursday, 28 July 2016, 11:23 PM

Hi Steph and George,

I'm just wondering what the end result of this was?  I'm experiencing what seems to be the exact issue you raised Stef back in Jan 2015 in that when a learner leaves a particular SCORM package without completed it (as in they only completed a couple of quiz questions), it is shown as failed in the LMS.  The learner then returns to the SCORM package later, continues the same attempt, completes a few more quiz questions, maybe even completes all the quiz questions, but the initial 'failed' result won't update to show the new result.

I don't want to force the learner to start a new attempt as it means they need to complete the entire module all over again.

I want to give the learner the flexibility to complete the module and quiz questions over multiple sittings and as they attain more points, that it is updated in Totara.

I uploaded the Storyline SCORM file to the SCORM Cloud for some testing this morning and it tracks perfectly.  I can access the module, complete a question or two, exit and the new result updates in the SCORM cloud.  I can do this as many times as needed until I reach the required pass mark and submit the results.  I think this testing in the SCORM cloud confirm that the Storyline settings are OK and that it's perhaps the settings I have in Totara.

Should I submit a support ticket?  Any advice/ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, Michelle

Michelle Lamont
by Michelle Lamont - Sunday, 31 July 2016, 7:44 PM

Hi - I found a solution to my SCORM problem - https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=274467

It was all to do with the masteryscore in the imsmanifest file in the SCORM zip file, which I removed and all tracks OK.

Thanks, Michelle