Best practice forum (Archived)

Embedding Media Clips in T2.6

Cheers!
Embedding Media Clips in T2.6
by James Gale - Wednesday, 23 July 2014, 1:50 AM

Hello

In previous releases, whenever I needed to change the size of a media clip displayed in a label, I uploaded the clip and  I added a simple string as stated in the second point here

Been trying to do the same in a clients T2.6.2 without any effect.  Has this been changed/withdrawn etc?

I've checked the Appearance -> Media embedding settings and all seem to be in order.

Be grateful if anyone has anyone has any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks

James

me
Re: Embedding Media Clips in T2.6
by George Angus - Wednesday, 23 July 2014, 4:12 PM
Group Totara

Hi James,

What is the media exactly - a Youtube video/link?

cheers,

George.

Cheers!
by James Gale - Thursday, 24 July 2014, 1:54 AM

Hi George

I was uploading/embedding a .mp4 file via the insert moodle media option in the TINYMCE editor.

Previously I have edited the HTML adding the string ?d=400x300.  This time however it doesnt seem to change dimensions hence wondering if it had been changed.

Thanks

James

Cheers!
by James Gale - Friday, 1 August 2014, 4:14 AM

HI

I've now experienced the very same issue with another clients 2.6 site.

Can you test your side please?

Thanks

James

me
by George Angus - Sunday, 3 August 2014, 2:49 PM
Group Totara

Hi James,

In order to resize you need to explicitly embed the code for the link, it has to be in an iframe. What Totara is doing in your case is embedding a link to the MP4, so it cannot be resized.

cheers,

George.

Cheers!
by James Gale - Monday, 11 August 2014, 9:04 AM

Hi George

Ok thanks for clarifying however has that always been the case?

I'm positive that in past releases, it's been possible to re-size .mp4 clips.  I've found some rough notes that I noted down in Feb 2013, which shows exactly what I was attempting.  The clip dimensions in the red outline were increased which increased the size of the clip in the topic/course.

of the clip in

Thanks

James

me
by George Angus - Monday, 11 August 2014, 4:43 PM
Group Totara

Hi James,

I had a quick look on 2.2 and its the same - can you be a bit more specific on the version you were using to narrow the field?

cheers,

George.

Cheers!
by James Gale - Tuesday, 12 August 2014, 5:21 AM

Hi George

OK - have spent this morning running thru this on 2.2.15 and  2.6.0.1 sites. Both had the same Multiimedia plugons enabled and filters/media embedding options set the same.

This is what I did

1. Create a label resource and upload a media clip using the Insert Moodle Media icon
  2. Then switch the view in HTML, so click Edit HTML Source icon
  3. At the end of the link, I have added the definitive display size of the player on my course page (in bold) <a href="http://localhost/totaralms-2.2.15/draftfile.php/5/user/draft/652160644/Creativity%20E-Learning_2_2.mp4?d=853x480">
  4. So adding ?d=853x480 increases the size if the player on the course page

Looking at my screen shot you can see the same clip, one is the default size and the second expanded

I'm pleased to say these steps worked indentically in both releases so I guess there maybe was a config issue with the client sites I was accessing.

Hope that makes sense.  Thanks for your help and hope I didnt waste too much of your time!

Cheers

James

me
by George Angus - Tuesday, 12 August 2014, 9:00 PM
Group Totara

Hi James,

You didnt!

cheers,

George.