Best practice forum (Archived)

Embedding Media clips into Forums

Cheers!
Embedding Media clips into Forums
by James Gale - Friday, 1 August 2014, 4:31 AM

Hi there

Can you please advise how I can embed YouTube clips into Forum posts? Are their differences if I attempting this as a learner or an admin? Ask as googling the problem seems to show threads that say there are different rules for each user type.

When attempting as an admin and learner, I find that whilst I can see the clip when editing the post, it's not displayed when the entire forum with replies is displayed.  Can understand why this may happen when a Learner but not as an Admin.

YT clips can be uploaded when performing the same process in a course Label so I'm a bit stumped as to why I cant do this in a forum. Be grateful for some clarity as I think all plugins filters are set as per normal.

Thanks James

me
Re: Embedding Media clips into Forums
by George Angus - Sunday, 3 August 2014, 3:57 PM
Group Totara

Hi James,

Something seems wrong here - Ill have a dev look into it and get back to you.

cheers,

George.

me
by George Angus - Monday, 4 August 2014, 2:07 PM
Group Totara

Hi James,

I had no difficulties using attached. Is this what you are doing? Can I ask what browser you are using?

cheers,

George.

Cheers!
by James Gale - Monday, 11 August 2014, 8:52 AM

Hi George

Thanks for the reply.  Apologies for the delayed response, I've been away.

I was attempting to display the clip within the forum post.  So just like placing a YT clip in a Label resource - I was taking the code directly from YT and embedding in the HTML editor as below:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zVy5gsGwRQk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As said it was shown initially but not after the reply was posted the discussion thread. Does that makes sense?  I was using Google Chrome browser btw

Cheers

James

me
by George Angus - Monday, 11 August 2014, 4:55 PM
Group Totara

Hi James,

This is a bug, Ill file a bug report - thanks for reporting. You can use the "Insert Moodle Media" option as a workaround.

Cheers,

George.

me
by George Angus - Tuesday, 12 August 2014, 6:24 PM
Group Totara

Hi James,

Post the Youtube URL as a link!

cheers,

George.

Cheers!
by James Gale - Wednesday, 13 August 2014, 1:06 AM

Thanks George..had forgotten about that approach.

Cheers

James