Best practice forum (Archived)

Manual Completion by others

Ben Walton
Manual Completion by others
by Ben Walton - Wednesday, 30 April 2014, 4:40 AM

Hi,

I am pretty new to Totara.

Having set up a course so that it can only be as complete manually by a manager, I am unsure of how to actually mark it as complete!

Thanks,

Daniel Bond
Re: Manual Completion by others
by Daniel Bond - Wednesday, 30 April 2014, 4:55 AM
Group Most helpful contributor 2023

If the Manager is in fact a trainer or similar on a course, then the way to achieve this is via the Course Completion settings for the course. If you tick the box next to the role in question, they will be able to go into the Course Completion Status report and manually complete the course for the user. This can be combined, for instance if there was a SCORM activity as well as needing trainer sign off.

Ben Walton
by Ben Walton - Wednesday, 30 April 2014, 5:10 AM

Thanks Dan, thats great!

Any chance you could screen shot to show me where on the course completion status report the Manager would need to tick. Presumably it's the last column?

Thanks,

Ben

Niek Hogervorst
by Niek Hogervorst - Wednesday, 30 April 2014, 5:45 AM

You're after the column that has a tickbox without dotted lines. Only then will you be able to mark Completion. See first column in the attached image.

It's important to note that the selected role has actually been assigned to someone in the context of the specific course or it's category. So if you would like to be able to manually mark completion as a Trainer, you'd need to enrol yourself with this Trainer role onto the course.

Hope this helps!

Niek

Ben Walton
by Ben Walton - Wednesday, 30 April 2014, 5:56 AM

Brilliant,

Thanks Niek

Ben Walton
by Ben Walton - Wednesday, 30 April 2014, 6:26 AM

Hi,

It seems that all my tick boxes are dotted. So does the manually mark as complete have to refer to a specific part of the course? Can it not be set up so a manager has the final say as to whether the learner should be mark as complete?

Thanks

Daniel Bond
by Daniel Bond - Wednesday, 30 April 2014, 7:00 AM

The setup should give you a non-dotted tick box, but only if you're logged into that course with that specific role. If you're logged in as an administrator, you won't have that non-dotted box. The intention is that, either on it's own or in combination with other activities, the trainer can decide who completes the course.

Regards

Dan

Ben Walton
by Ben Walton - Wednesday, 30 April 2014, 7:17 AM

So if I have a specific person in the management role who needs to authorise that a user has completed the course, how can I ensure they are recognised as a manager to be able to mark that course as complete for that user?

Thanks,

Ben

Daniel Bond
by Daniel Bond - Wednesday, 30 April 2014, 7:31 AM

When you enrol them in the course, make sure that the role they have is Trainer (assuming that's the role you want them to have) and that the Trainer box is ticked in the Course Completion settings to be able to manually mark the course as complete.

Regards

Dan

Ben Walton
by Ben Walton - Wednesday, 30 April 2014, 7:47 AM

Pretty sure I've managed it now.

Thanks for the help.

Just to confirm, even if the learner had completed all of the activities within the course, it would still need the manager to manually mark it as complete before it was recorded as complete.

Thanks,

Ben

Niek Hogervorst
by Niek Hogervorst - Monday, 5 May 2014, 7:52 AM

Hi Ben,

This would depend on the course completion aggregation setting. Is Activity AND Manual Completion are required, completing the activities won't mark the course Completed. The appropriate role would have to mark completion as well. If your Aggregation method is set to ANY, the course can be marked Completed either by completion the mandatory activities or through manual completion by the selected role.

Niek