Best practice forum (Archived)

Cancellation of events in progress

Joan Perez
Cancellation of events in progress
by Joan Perez - Monday, 18 September 2017, 7:13 AM
Group Partners

Hi all,

One of our customers is asking us to cancel events that are currently in progress. Since they are in progress, the "Cancel" icon is hidden and I'm not able to cancel these events. 

Is there a way to cancel an event that is curerntly in progress? I would like to avoid, if it is possible, to modify the start date/time of the event and, then, cancel the event. Reason is that, once the event is cancelled, I cannot edit the event again to modify the start date / time and replace it by the original one. 

Thanks

me
Re: Cancellation of events in progress
by George Angus - Monday, 18 September 2017, 2:58 PM
Group Totara

Hi Joan,

Im not certain what you mean here 'I cannot edit the event again to modify the start date / time and replace it by the original one'. 

What is it you want to do exactly?

cheers,

George.

Joan Perez
by Joan Perez - Tuesday, 19 September 2017, 1:23 AM
Group Partners

Thanks for your reply, George. Sorry for not being precise. 

The scope of the issue we're facing is the following: 

On one hand, we have events scheduled in Totara and we have enrolled attendees to the events (students do not have access to the LMS, just fyi). 

On the other, we need to support the situation in which we have to cancel an event which is in progress. This is to say, for whatever reason, our training administrators cancel the training session, we communicate the cancellation to students and we need to cancel the event in Totara.

Currently, we don't have problems when we cancel in Totara an event which will take place in the future, We can cancel the event by clicking on the "Cancel event" icon (see 20170919-1.png).

However, we do have problems when we need to cancel in Totara events that are either "In progress" or they already took place in the past (status is "Event over"). Reason is that the "Cancel event" icon is not available.

Regarding your question, let me clarify my particular sentence and put a bit of context:

1. Since I was not able to cancel an event in progress, I decided to modify the start and end date of the event. This way, the status of the event changed to "Booking open" and I could cancel the event without events.

2. Once the event was cancelled, I need to modify the start and end date again to leave the original values. However, I cannot do this action because the "Cancel event" icon is not rendered by the LMS.

Thanks.

Joan Perez
by Joan Perez - Tuesday, 19 September 2017, 3:41 AM
Group Partners

I found a typo in my previous post, George.  Sorry.  Let me re-prhase Item "1. Since I was not able to ..."

1. Since I was not able to cancel an event in progress, I decided to modify the start and end date of the event. This way, the status of the event changed to "Booking open" and I could cancel the event without problems.

me
by George Angus - Tuesday, 19 September 2017, 4:32 PM
Group Totara

Hi Joan,

Have you tried just removing the users?

cheers,

George.

Joan Perez
by Joan Perez - Wednesday, 20 September 2017, 1:52 AM
Group Partners

Hi George,

I've removed the users from the event and customized the cancellation enrollment message to identify the reason for this cancellation. However, the status of the event remains as "Event Over" and this status doesn't show the real status of this training activity (which was cancelled due to business decisions).

From the business perspective, this situation is really complicated because we don't have any way to update the "Event Over" status for sessions that has been cancelled. 

Could you please suggest to us a workaround to solve this situation? It would be really convenient to us because this situation, for sure, will also happen in the future with other customers.

Joan Perez
by Joan Perez - Monday, 25 September 2017, 8:17 AM
Group Partners

Hi George,

Do you have news regarding this situation? The number of sessions our customer needs to cancel is increasing and we need advise about how to proceed.

Thanks.

Joan

me
by George Angus - Tuesday, 26 September 2017, 7:35 PM
Group Totara

Hi Joan,

Im not certain cancelling events while they are underway is sound practice. Have you tried adding a custom session field? That might do the trick.

cheers,

George.

me
by George Angus - Tuesday, 26 September 2017, 8:47 PM
Group Totara

Hi Joan,

If you create a custom session field (say 'Reason for cancellation') then edit the embedded 'Seminars: View and manage sessions' report you can see the field for cancelled sessions.  When the user cancels an event the reason can be entered then.

cheers,

George.

me
by George Angus - Wednesday, 27 September 2017, 7:21 PM
Group Totara
Hi Joan,

I've sent you an invite to our Support desk - the forums are really designed for discussion rather than an official support channel.

cheers,

George.