Totara Learn Open Discussions

Seminar attendance using the Gradebook

Joanne Pratt
Seminar attendance using the Gradebook
by Joanne Pratt - Thursday, 25 October 2018, 3:44 AM
Group Most helpful contributor 2023

Has anyone tried to use the gradebook to work out a 70% attendance on a weekly run semniar activity (46 semniar activities over a year) please?

If you have how did you accomplish it?

I have tried all the types of grades however each time a learner is fully attended on a semniar session they are course completed as well even though the course completion is set to grade 70.0000

One scenario I used was

Weight mean of grades for the overall completion

Simple weight of means for each category (i put each semniar activity in its own category) and this was weighted at 0.25 (as only created 4 to test)

So in theory i believed that if i  received 100 points for fully attending a seminar activity the activity 100 would be 0.25 (category weight) of the overall course completion

Followed many videos and still the seminar once fully attended gave a course completion

So I have come to the conclusion that a semniar activity cannot be added to the gradebook multiple times in a course only once!  There are mentions of an Attendance plugin use for recording attendance on some of the university sites i visited.

Any advice appreciated

Thank you Jo

Daniel Bond
Re: Seminar attendance using the Gradebook
by Daniel Bond - Thursday, 25 October 2018, 5:08 AM

So, every time someone fully attends a Seminar, they get 100 for that activity, and if they are marked "Did not attend" they get a 0. The distinction between that "Did not attend" and them not being booked on is that someone who isn't booked on doesn't get a mark for the activity at all, which will be important later.

So, as you say, you want to calculate where people have attended 70% of the sessions, which means changing the way the overall course grade is calculated from "Natural" (add all of the grades up, scaled by weight) to "Mean of grades" (add all of the grades up and divide by the number of grades). There is also an option in the Gradebook setup setting for the course whether to "Exclude empty grades" and you want to make sure that's unticked so that sessions where staff aren't booked still get counted. There is also as "Drop the lowest" option, and this should be 0.

So, an example:

• There are 4 Seminar activities, A B C and D.
  • The course completion setting is requiring a grade of 70.
  • User attends Seminar A. Their grades are therefore A = 100, B = , C = , D = and the course total is therefore 100 / 4 which is 25. 
  • User then attends B but doesn't turn up to their booking for C. Their grades are now A = 100, B = 100, C = 0, D = and the course total is therefore 200 / 4 which is 50.
  • User then rebooks for another session of activity C, and this time turns up. The grades are now A = 100, B = 100, C = 100, D = which means a course total of 300 / 4 which is 75 and the course is marked as complete.

The downside is, of course, that you have to create 46 separate Seminar activities, each with one date in (assuming you only run them once), but it should work.

Joanne Pratt
by Joanne Pratt - Monday, 29 October 2018, 1:51 AM
Dan

Thank you will try that scenario out today.  Yes 46 different activities and will log everyone either attended or not so no one will be a zero

Will let you know how i get on

Thank you

jo

Joanne Pratt
by Joanne Pratt - Monday, 29 October 2018, 4:45 AM

Dan

That worked set up 4 activities to test it with

Set the overall Grade to be mean of grades

Set the category grade to be mean of grades and unticked the box exclude empty grades

Course completion set to be grade of 70

When someone had doen 3 out of 4 courses eg 300/4 they received a course completion 

I also added extra people in to the class half way through etc and no completion

Thank you so much

Kind regards

Jo

Mark Carey
by Mark Carey - Friday, 3 May 2019, 5:13 AM
Group Partners

In Totara 12 I can set up a seminar activity with 5 sessions, and can configure it so that I can sign up for all 5 sessions. The student is expected to attend all of the sessions, but at a minimum to complete, we want the user to be fully attended at 4 out of 5 sessions i.e. 80%.

I think the only way I can do this is to have 5 different seminars with 1 event each, and then use the gradebook, with "fully attended" events completing the activity giving 20% each, and then having course completion based on achieving an 80% grade. This is a bit onerous when setting up the events and completions because this same pattern has to be repeated in multiple courses, and it makes the page that much busier in this particular use case.

Ideally I want one seminar activity, with 5 events, and to be able to set more flexible completion criteria.

Any thoughts?

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 5 May 2019, 6:56 PM
Group Totara

Hi

There has been some development work recently on Seminar Attendance on v13. There is also some additional work started including the manual grading of an event and the addition of  grade to pass for a seminar event.

This should help you to achieve what you require. 

Regards

Mark Carey
by Mark Carey - Thursday, 9 May 2019, 2:07 AM
Group Partners

Thanks Craig. I’ll look out for that!

Mark