Best practice forum (Archived)

Front Page Settings in Totara 12

Tammy Frame
Front Page Settings in Totara 12
by Tammy Frame - Wednesday, 23 January 2019, 9:20 AM
Group Totara

Is there any way to get to the Front Page Settings in Totara 12? 

The only way that I have been able to do it is to manually set my URL to /admin/settings.php?section=frontpagesettings . The new Administration menu system is very frustrating... We now need to go through multiple page loads to get to the settings for any site plugin. Do we have the option of using the old Administration block, which was organized much more intuitively?

Craig Eves
Re: Front Page Settings in Totara 12
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 24 January 2019, 1:15 PM
Group Totara

Hi Tammy

I was going to suggest using the search button for Front page but I tried this and there were no results.

You could add this url to the existing menu under menu settings

If this doesn't meet your requirements then you can enable the old site admin by changing the config.php file as details in the config.dist file below

// As of version 12, Totara introduces a new site administration menu available in the

// site's top navigation.

// For those wanting to continue displaying legacy site administration menu in the

// 'Administration' block the following setting can be defined in your config.php.

//

//      $CFG->legacyadminsettingsmenu = true;

regards

Tammy Frame
by Tammy Frame - Friday, 25 January 2019, 11:31 AM
Group Totara

Hi Craig and Ian,

Thanks for showing the config setting - I will just use that from now on.

For some reason, I wasn't seeing "Front Page Settings" under the administration menu on the home page before, but it's definitely there.

Thanks for your help.

This forum post has been removed
Saturday, 26 January 2019, 7:09 PM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
Peter Pappas
by Peter Pappas - Monday, 4 February 2019, 1:36 AM

Hi Craig,

We do not use the "Homepage" and have it disabled in the menu. All users get a dashboard. However, we can still get to the front page settings via the link to "Logs" and I am sure there are other links that will take you there as well.

I looked at the legacy menu which implies the old menu but the architecture of the menu has changed considerably. 

I found the new menu has a learning curve for an administrator who is used to the old menu. Searching does not always yield the results you might be looking for. One of the Items that has changed which effects me is: the in-built reports are now scattered under their respective sections rather than being grouped under reports as a for instance.

For us, going back to the legacy menu is not any real help. We need to learn the new menu through trial and error.

All and all I like the new structure because it is "cleaner" for the user.

Peter.

Ian MacKinnon
by Ian MacKinnon - Thursday, 24 January 2019, 2:18 PM

You can still access the Administration block for the page you are on, just not for Site Administration. Front page settings are available in the Administration block on the Home page:

Ian