Totara Learn Open Discussions

Migrate Learning History to display under Record of Learning

? ?
Migrate Learning History to display under Record of Learning
by ? ? - Thursday, 24 January 2019, 12:20 PM

Hello, we have recently tried multiple times to migrate an agencies learning history from another learning management system into the new system and have it be available to view under Record of Learning rather than the Other Evidence tab by following the Totara course completion import instructions and file layout:

customfield_evidencedescription,customfield_evidencelink,customfield_evidenceinstitution

We have changed courseidonly field as the course id number and removed certain naming conventions to try and get the history to show up under Record Learning and have been unsuccessful. Using file attached How can we get this data to migrate under Record of Learning?

Craig Eves
Re: Migrate Learning History to display under Record of Learning
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 24 January 2019, 5:58 PM
Group Totara

Hi Kia

I tried this with the file supplied and changed the courseshortname and deleted the courseidnumber

The settings I used date format as above and File encoding of UTF - this imported OK -

The file seems to be having difficulty matching the courses - either the courseshortname or courseidnumber are not recognised . Try leaving out the courseidnumber as it looks like it only needs one field to match.

Let me know how this goes.

regards

? ?
by ? ? - Friday, 25 January 2019, 10:20 AM

Thanks Craig for the speedy response, so I tried clearing the contents of the courseid field and just leaving the title since this is a required field, However we have about 50,000 records to upload and I don't think I will have the time to change the course shortname on all of those items. Do you have any other recommendations that you think may be helpful in migrating this mass amount of data?

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 27 January 2019, 2:03 PM
Group Totara

Hi Kia

In my testing I didn't need to clear the courseid field in the course just in the upload file.

As long as the course shortname matches the actual course shortname the result should uploaded as evidence - I was using version 11.10 and the courseid is not updated. 

regards

? ?
by ? ? - Monday, 28 January 2019, 7:48 AM

Hi Craig, yes we have imported with the course id as well we have actually tried several different formats the problem is not with the file importing or migrating it works we just want the data to appear in Record of Learning under Course tab and Not the Other Evidence Tab. Is that possible?

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 28 January 2019, 12:52 PM
Group Totara

Hi Kia

Yes it is possible to import course completion records so they appear in the course rather than Evidence. I tried again with another record and confirmed this.

The courseshortname in the file needs to match the Course short name in Totara.

When you upload the completions are you using UTF-8 encoding - can you check that your spreadsheet is saving it in this format  - I think some spreadsheets when saving as csv save it as UTF-16 format

If this doesn't help then can you create a ticket on the helpdesk to investigate further.