Best practice forum (Archived)

Certifications

Kelvin Hylton
Certifications
by Kelvin Hylton - Sunday, 10 February 2019, 1:58 PM

Hi there,

This is my first time using certifications and wanting a little help. We are wanting users to take a big course Course A (has one scorm and a quiz activity) to become certified and over a period of a year they will need to take a smaller refresher course Course B  (just a quiz activity) to become certified again. So I have created a certification program with Course A as the original path and Course B as the re certification path. From my understanding, once users complete the original path, each year after that (if they complete it before they expire) they keep taking the re certification path (Course B), and only take Course A only if they have not completed the certification before the expiry date. 

However, what I am wanting help with is that I would like to set the quiz activity in Course B (the re certification path) to have only 3 attempts. And that if a user has not gotten 100% after 3 attempts, they are automatically directed back to to complete the original path (Course A).  

Is this possible? I'm not sure how this could be configured and don't know how this may affect the certification process as a whole. 

Thanks heaps!

Craig Eves
Re: Certifications
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 10 February 2019, 3:55 PM
Group Totara

Hi Kelvin

It isn't possible to change the recertfication path after the original Certification course has been passed.

One way of getting around this would be to include the quiz and SCORM from course A in course B and use the restrict access setting so they only appear if quiz B is not complete. 

The course completion for course B would be to complete any of the activities AND a course grade required 

At the end of the recertfication period the activities from course B will have the previous attempts deleted. This way the recertification path stays the same but allows for completing the original course activities.

regards

Kelvin Hylton
by Kelvin Hylton - Sunday, 10 February 2019, 5:21 PM

That's great! thanks for the help Craig

Kelvin Hylton
by Kelvin Hylton - Monday, 11 February 2019, 4:47 PM

Hi again, 

Just having a few other problem around certifications. Have just been having a play around on our stage site and it doesn't seem to be working as planned. After configuring it all correctly, even created a test user account to test the certification, the user got their certification. But when it was time for the window to open for the re-certification, it says the window is 'open' on the users record of learning , but once you open the program itself to take the re-certification path, it says at the top of the page that the re-certification window was due to open but has not yet occurred? What would have caused the window to not open automatically to make the certification program run smoothly? Thanks

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 11 February 2019, 6:06 PM
Group Totara

Hi Kelvin

Are you able to create a ticket on  totara.support or get a Partner to so we can look at this as it seems inconsistent.

regards