Best practice forum (Archived)

System Slowness 504 Gateway timeouts

Jacque Cardenas
System Slowness 504 Gateway timeouts
by Jacque Cardenas - Thursday, 21 February 2019, 4:30 PM

Hello,

A shot in the dark here, but I'm hoping someone can chime in with ideas of things we should check to address an issue we are having with sporadic system slowness and 504 gateway timeouts.

We are running Totara v11.6, MySQL database 5.7.24.26, php 7.1.25, Ubuntu servers, virtual Linux box, NGINX

Here is what we have tried so far to no resolution:

1. Switched to a new esx host. 

2. Restarted

3. Added more memory and restarted- although MySQL was using only about 30% of the memory

4. Changed Extra PHP memory limit in Performance from 512M to 2048M

5. Deleted two reports that had over 20mil records that are being processed in each of them -- even though these reports were not being used.

6. Changed some scheduled tasks that were running every minute to every 5 or every 15 minutes to every hour.

7. Course backups are currently running once weekly on Saturday.  We are backing up logs too, and the last time they ran, they failed because we recently upgraded to new servers and the backup directory was not created on the new servers.

Final question:  If there other large reports that someone with the permissions to run and schedule reports is running, how can I as an administrator find or see what reports my other users are running?

Our Totara servicer is at a loss and so is our IT infrastructure team.  We are not sure what else to try.  Anyone have thoughts/ideas?

me
Re: System Slowness 504 Gateway timeouts
by George Angus - Thursday, 21 February 2019, 5:39 PM
Group Totara

Hi Jacque,

Could you ask your Totara partner to submit a Support ticket with us? We'd need to know the size of the site, number of courses, etc. As much info about the site as you can supply will be useful.

regards,

George.