Best practice forum (Archived)

Seminar Cancellations by Managers

Bev Hares
Seminar Cancellations by Managers
by Bev Hares - Friday, 8 March 2019, 4:07 AM

When allowing Managers to 'Reserve and Allocate' spaces on Seminars for members of their team - is it possible to prevent them cancelling an allocated space within the cancellation period set for the activity.  It would appear that even though we have set it so that a learner cannot cancel from 2 weeks before the event starts - A manager still has the option to remove an allocation?

Any advice, greatly received

Thanks Bev

me
Re: Seminar Cancellations by Managers
by George Angus - Sunday, 10 March 2019, 8:19 PM
Group Totara

Hi Bev,

This isn't possible at present.

Can I ask why you want to be able to do this? One way of looking at this is you would expect those users with the role of manager to exercise a degree of responsibility, but we would definitely be interested in any use case you may have.

cheers,

George.

Daniel Bond
by Daniel Bond - Monday, 11 March 2019, 1:44 AM
Group Most helpful contributor 2023

The abilities of managers to reserve and cancel spaces on sessions for their staff should be on the same basis as if the individual was doing it themselves. That means managers shouldn't be able to make a booking where an individual can't, for example where the session is full and waitlisting is turned off. Equally, if a member of staff wouldn't be allowed to cancel (usually for good operational reasons), then the manager shouldn't be able to bypass that restriction.

Example: we don't allow staff to cancel off certain sessions within 7 days of the session because resources (with costs associated) are produced at that point for each attendee.

me
by George Angus - Monday, 11 March 2019, 8:04 PM
Group Totara

Thanks Dan!

I've created a feature request, TL-20451 Prevent managers from cancelling allocated spaces in a seminar event within set period, please feel free to add a comment.

cheers,

George.

Bev Hares
by Bev Hares - Tuesday, 12 March 2019, 2:31 AM

Thanks Dan - I couldn't have put it better myself.

I'll have to wait for the feature request that George has put forward to resolve this one.

Kind regards, Bev