Best practice forum (Archived)

CSV file password Totara 11

Qingrou Zhao
CSV file password Totara 11
by Qingrou Zhao - Monday, 29 April 2019, 5:01 AM

Dear team,

I read this on the totara document:

To upload users with CSV bulk, you first need to create a CSV file using Microsoft Excel.

Note: If a password column is included in your table and the CSV file has an empty password field then a welcome email will be sent to the user. 

So my question is that what does the welcome emails do? Do they allow users to create their own password?

Thank you!

Craig Eves
Re: CSV file password Totara 11
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 29 April 2019, 6:06 PM
Group Totara

Hi Qingrou

There is a setting in the Upload users 'Create password if needed and send via email'

The text of the message sent is in the language pack with the string  newusernewpasswordtext and is customisable.

The standard text is below this includes the new password and instructions for changing this.

Hi {$a->firstname}, A new account has been created for you at '{$a->sitename}' and you have been issued with a new temporary password. Your current login information is now: username: {$a->username} password: {$a->newpassword} (you will have to change your password when you login for the first time) To start using '{$a->sitename}', login at {$a->link} In most mail programs, this should appear as a blue link which you can just click on. If that doesn't work, then cut and paste the address into the address line at the top of your web browser window. Cheers from the '{$a->sitename}' administrator, {$a->signoff}

Regards

Qingrou Zhao
by Qingrou Zhao - Tuesday, 30 April 2019, 2:10 AM

Thanks Craig. So only when the password column is empty, then users will receive an automatically generated temporary password. s my understanding correct? 

Qingrou Zhao
by Qingrou Zhao - Tuesday, 30 April 2019, 2:17 AM

My question is that if for instance, we forget to include a column of password in the CSV file, what would happen then? 

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 30 April 2019, 7:12 PM
Group Totara

Hi Qingrou

The password column is required for this to work. when uploading users.

In HR Import the welcome email  is also sent if the password field is left blank. HR Import is required if you need to update Hierarchy items and assign managers.

Regards