Best practice forum (Archived)

When I backup/restore a course to make a new course, the quiz stays connected.

Paul Lowndes
When I backup/restore a course to make a new course, the quiz stays connected.
by Paul Lowndes - Thursday, 20 June 2019, 3:11 AM
Group Most Helpful Contributor 2021

Say I backup and restore a previous course as a template for my new courses, including the Question Bank. The problem I'm having is the new courses have their quiz questions pegged with each other.

So if I amend the quiz questions on New Course 2, it will change the questions on New Course 1, and vice versa.

Since these are separate courses, which setting do I need to make sure the quizzes on the new courses aren't pegged with each other when I change the questions? Nothing else seems to stay connected except that.

I tried unchecking the Question Bank box when I backup the old template course, but then all the settings for it are lost and have to be made again from scratch. We really want to backup the existing course with Question Bank and change the questions on the new separate course.

Thanks

Wesley Holden
Re: When I backup/restore a course to make a new course, the quiz stays connected.
by Wesley Holden - Monday, 24 June 2019, 11:06 AM

Hi Paul, 

I've been researching your question and haven't found a built in solution. One recommendation is to export the questions from the original quiz and import them, rather than restoring them as part of the back. What version of Totara are you working with? I'd like to file a ticket on this to get more research and a resolution.

Thanks!

Paul Lowndes
Re: When I backup/restore a course to make a new course, the quiz stays connected.
by Paul Lowndes - Tuesday, 25 June 2019, 8:02 AM
Group Most Helpful Contributor 2021

Hi Wesley,

Thanks for getting back to us. We're on version T11 and looking to upgrade to version 12 in the next few months.

I'll have a look at exporting and importing the questions, but I'm thinking a simple setting which keeps the course quizzes separate when editing the questions of the backed up and restored new courses would be perfect (perhaps a checkbox on the Backup Settings page next to the Include Question Bank checkbox) since everything else in the new courses created this way are already separate.

Many thanks