Best practice forum (Archived)

quiz restrictions

Sarah Lattimore
quiz restrictions
by Sarah Lattimore - Sunday, 7 July 2019, 10:11 PM

a) I know that you can restrict the time in which a learner can complete a quiz, but is there a way to put a time restriction on a specific question?  

b) In one of our quizzes, learners are expected to watch a video that is embedded into the test question.  Is there a way to restrict the number of times they can view the video?

c) we have enabled "full screen popup" in the quiz settings, but have noticed that the taskbar down the bottom is still available.  is it possible for the java popup to cover the taskbar so that learners cannot navigate to other areas on their computer while completing the quiz?

Craig Eves
Re: quiz restrictions
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 8 July 2019, 3:19 PM
Group Totara

Hi Sarah

There isn't a way to change the time in a quiz or the number of attempts for individual quiz questions.

One way around this would to create a separate quiz for these single questions and then add a Time limit or attempt limit on the quiz. The Activity completion for this would be based on all available attempts completed or they have viewed the activity.

Another quiz would be created with the Restrict access set to completion of the first quiz.

Another possibility is to use the Lesson module this allows the flow to be controlled with time limits and number of attempts and questions to be added. There is a steep learning curve to this but may be suitable depending on your requirement.

Regards

Sarah Lattimore
by Sarah Lattimore - Tuesday, 9 July 2019, 5:31 PM

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've had a look through the Lesson settings and documentation but can't seem to find the option to add time limits to particular questions within a lesson.  Where should I be looking to figure this out?

Also, any thoughts on the further restricting a Java pop-up so that it covers the taskbar along the bottom so that learners cannot navigate to other areas on the computer? 

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 9 July 2019, 6:34 PM
Group Totara

Hi Sarah

Sorry there doesn't appear to be a time based action for individual questions in Lessons either. 

There are some more detailed suggestion here including the debate about the pedagogy of using passive video resources!

I think the maximising the size of the javascript popup is difficult and is browser dependent and may need to be triggered by the user  There was some suggestions here but it needs a front end developer to decypher this.  

Regards