Best practice forum (Archived)

Certifications - Initial and Refresher Courses

Deborah Jackson
Certifications - Initial and Refresher Courses
by Deborah Jackson - Thursday, 18 July 2019, 8:18 AM

Hello

I'm hoping that someone can come up with a solution for me.

We have quite a few Initial courses followed by a refresher course which we want to hold in a certification.  The trouble is that if someone's certification expires, we don't want them to have to complete the initial course again.

Our certifications hold a skill which is granted with the initial course and obviously has an expiry date.

Does anyone else have the same problem and found a solution?

Regards

Debbie

Craig Eves
Re: Certifications - Initial and Refresher Courses
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 18 July 2019, 6:57 PM
Group Totara

Hi Debbie

It is possible to define courses in the Original certification path  and courses in a Recertification path

Then if you untick the box 'Use the existing certification content' in the Recertification path only the courses from the Recertification path  will be required without the initial courses.

Regards

Deborah Jackson
by Deborah Jackson - Friday, 19 July 2019, 12:44 AM

Many thanks for your speedy response Craig.  I thought that box just made it easier to add the courses if the recertification path repeated.  So it really has a second function, namely, whether someone just repeats the refresher OR has to go back and complete the initial if they fail to certify on time?  Sorry, I just want to be really clear on this as I'm about to set up 70 certifications!

Regards

Debbie

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 21 July 2019, 4:22 PM
Group Totara

Hi Deborah

Yes that is right the primary courses (the ones in the initial Certification) only need to be done again if the certification expires.

There are quite a few recertification scenarios that are detailed here

If things do change or are not behaving as expected then there is a certification completion editor that can be used to edit records and highlight any issues and fix some automatically.

regards