Best practice forum (Archived)

Powerpoint and Totara

Sue Blake
Powerpoint and Totara
by Sue Blake - Tuesday, 28 April 2020, 1:26 AM
Group Good learner 2023Group Most Helpful Contributor 2022Group Most helpful contributor 2023Group TXP Site Administrator

I have found some old discussions around this but wasn't sure if anyone has a solution that doesn't involve publishing my content using Google Drive and therefore available to the anyone on the internet.

I have two PowerPoint documents as part of a course I am creating and I want to embed them in the course or set them up so that they automatically open (currently they just download and the learner has to then manually open them).

Does anyone have a solution?  The only route I have found that sort of works is by converting them to e-learning using Articulate.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sue

Daniel Bond
Re: Powerpoint and Totara
by Daniel Bond - Tuesday, 28 April 2020, 2:47 AM
Group Most helpful contributor 2023

Your best bet may be to convert to PDF and embed that on the page. If you're happy for staff to click a link and view it on your Totara, you can just add it as a File resource and select "Embed" as the "Display" option. If you want it actually embedded on the course page itself, create a Label and go to "Manage Files" . Once you've done that, add a Link  and then edit the source of the link so that rather than <a href="https://[file URL]">Link Text</a> you have <iframe src="https://[file URL]" width="100%" height="500px"></iframe>.

The one slight side-effect of embedding that way is that every time you edit that label (or at least for me), it downloads a copy of the file.

Sue Blake
by Sue Blake - Tuesday, 28 April 2020, 4:57 AM
Group Good learner 2023Group Most Helpful Contributor 2022Group Most helpful contributor 2023Group TXP Site Administrator

Thanks Daniel, I want it to run as a slide show so the pdf version makes it a bit clunky.

I've tried your suggestion regarding creating a label and creating an iframe which sort of worked but still downloaded a copy each time I clicked or edit the label.  

Daniel Bond
by Daniel Bond - Tuesday, 28 April 2020, 7:41 AM
Group Most helpful contributor 2023

If you need the presentation to run itself, you might be as well to publish your PowerPoint as a video (from within PowerPoint, think it's "Save and Send" and then select Video) and then upload it as an unlisted video somewhere like YouTube and embed that. If you wanted, you could even narrate the presentation (again, built into PowerPoint) before exporting it if you wanted to ensure the key messages were communicated. This is how we've done some of our training recently as part of an effort to require less training to be done actually Face to Face, but without the time taken to develop proper eLearning.