Totara Learn Open Discussions

Performance Review - Notifying manager that employee has completed their stage so that an action is required

Adam Parr
Performance Review - Notifying manager that employee has completed their stage so that an action is required
by Adam Parr - Wednesday, 22 July 2020, 11:37 PM

Hi all,

I'm in the process of creating a performance review cycle and would like to set up notifications so that when an employee submits their objectives to a line manager that the manager receives a notification informing them that they need to take action.  I feel as though i've hit a bit of a stumbling block and need your help to try to work through it.

Looking at some of the Totara guides it seems as though this is possible, but only at the completion of each stage.  At the moment the stages in the performance review that I've set up rely on the employee entering their objectives for the year and then the manager reviewing these before pressing "complete stage".  By the looks of it this means that there couldn't be a notification triggered when an employee enters their objectives asking the manager to review these as they are both under the same "stage" in the process?

My second idea, if the above is true, would mean that the employee submitting their objectives and the manager reviewing them would need to be separate stages in the process. However this would seem to mean that the manager would then need to keep going back and forth between their review page and the employees page in order to see what they had submitted and to then input their own adjustments?

Any help or guidance that could be provided on this would be very much appreciated as I feel as though i'm a bit stuck at the moment.

Thank you in advance,

Adam

Craig Eves
Re: Performance Review - Notifying manager that employee has completed their stage so that an action is required
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 23 July 2020, 5:00 PM
Group Totara

Hi Adam

That is right the trigger for the Appraisal notification is completion of the stage. This means that the manager should be excluded from the Objective setting stage and then go back to the previous stage to review.

Another alternative is to create Learning Plan Objectives and engage with the learner through this with comments and notifications coming through Learning Plans and then using the 'Objectives from Learning plan' in the Appraisal to pull all this through.

There is extensive development to the Appraisals area including the addition of check-ins in the upcoming v13 release.  Activities containing Appraisal elements can be added with each activity having notifications that can be enabled.  One of the notifications triggers is when the subject completes one of the activities so should be able to be used to notify the manager when a learner completes their goal activity.

Regards