Best practice forum (Archived)

Certificate Generated - Trainer or Admin

Sue Blake
Certificate Generated - Trainer or Admin
by Sue Blake - Thursday, 23 July 2020, 2:57 AM
Group Good learner 2023Group Most Helpful Contributor 2022Group Most helpful contributor 2023Group TXP Site Administrator

I've created a course that requires a number of modules to be completed in Totara before the option to generate a Certificate is available.

I have an issue that System Admin and Trainers are able to generate their own certificate for the course without actually completing any of the modules.

I understand they have a different level of access to learners but to me it does not sound right that they can generate their own completion certificate without completing the course.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sue

Craig Eves
Re: Certificate Generated - Trainer or Admin
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 23 July 2020, 8:23 PM
Group Totara

Hi Sue

I think learners are also able to generate a certificate without completing a course too - they just need to go into the Certificate activity and select get you certificate.

You can use the restrict access  to something like course total is less than a passing mark so all users are not to see the activity until a passing mark has been gained. Trainer and admins don't get a grade in the gradebook . You may also need to untick show hidden activities in the permissions for the trainer role.

Regards

Sue Blake
Re: Certificate Generated - Trainer or Admin
by Sue Blake - Thursday, 23 July 2020, 11:53 PM
Group Good learner 2023Group Most Helpful Contributor 2022Group Most helpful contributor 2023Group TXP Site Administrator

Thanks for the info Craig,  I've set the certification option up with restricted access so learners have to complete all the course activities before it is available to download (see screenshot attached).    I had thought that would apply to trainers as well (they will also be required to complete the course).  I'll have a look into the permissions options for trainers to see what functions that offers.