Totara Learn Open Discussions

Mandating filters in Reports

Brady Hann
Mandating filters in Reports
by Brady Hann - Monday, 11 October 2021, 5:15 PM

Hey again,

I am building a report that will be accessed by our Operations team. Their role is largely non-technical, so i'm trying to make this report as simple to interpret as possible.
I have noticed that the report (like all others) shows all enrolment history, and shows an employee with a course and enrollment date even if they are no longer enrolled in the report. To circumvent this, I have to apply a filter on 'Enrolment Type', so that enrolments with no enrolment type are excluded.

Is there any way to enforce a filter or have it always on within a report, outside of Saved Searches? I'd prefer not to have to train out 'Enrolment Types', what they are and why blank enrolment types need to be filtered from the report to get accurate data.

Thanks!

Craig Eves
Re: Mandating filters in Reports
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 12 October 2021, 5:57 PM
Group Totara

Hi Brady

If the filters are to do with restricting records to a subset of users then Global report restrictions can be used

Alternatively it is possible to edit the code for the report and setting a default filter value  

Regards

Brady Hann
by Brady Hann - Tuesday, 12 October 2021, 8:33 PM

Hi Craig, the default filter value seems like the most logical solution here.
I'm having a little trouble finding where I can edit this code though, how do I access this within Totara?

Thank you

Val Quimno
by Val Quimno - Monday, 29 May 2023, 1:53 AM
Group Good learner 2023

Hi Craig,

Is there a straightforward way of restricting "suspended users" from being included in embedded reports? I can't get "global report restriction" to work.

Thanks.

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 29 May 2023, 4:07 PM
Group Totara

Hi Val

Embedded reports are able to be edited and a filter field User Status added to the report with the value Active selected to exclude suspended users.

I have edited the embedded report that shows for the completion editor

regards

Val Quimno
by Val Quimno - Monday, 29 May 2023, 7:47 PM
Group Good learner 2023

User status filter is not the ideal solution we are looking for. Is there a way that we can globally filter only active users, or only enrolled users in reports? I've tried to do this in report restrictions but it used to be (t12) an option in the content area for the report. 

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 29 May 2023, 8:50 PM
Group Totara

Hi Val

There is a global way of doing this with Global report restrictions and defining a restriction based on an audience where the user suspended value is No. 

Report restrictions don't work in some reports such as those without user data - which report were you using?

regards