Best practice forum (Archived)

Data analytics- Gathering data from learners search queries

Elsa Olivera
Data analytics- Gathering data from learners search queries
by Elsa Olivera - Wednesday, 24 November 2021, 3:05 AM

Hello all,

I was wondering if there is a way (e.g. plugin, report) to obtain the data from the search queries bar of the LMS main learners dashboard.

I think that knowing what our learners are searching for would be an invaluable source of data. We could improve both the learning resources offered (better understanding of learning needs) and also get input about how to adapt the design of the LMS to improve the user experience (e.g. if the learners are searching for dashboard titles, they wouldn't get useful information from the search as it is set at a course level).

I know there are options like Intelliboard, Lambda, etc. that integrate with Totara to provide this kind of users analytics but before exploring external (paid) solutions, I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this.

Cheers!

Craig Eves
Re: Data analytics- Gathering data from learners search queries
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 29 November 2021, 2:44 PM
Group Totara

Hi Elsa

I don't think there is a tool in Totara that does Analytics - I checked the Site Log and there wan't anything recorded when I did a search.

Totara allows you to add HTML  to every page to allow the data to be accessible to Analytics tools such as Google Analytics .  Alternatively you can host an Analytics tool such as Matomo on your own server for no cost and to ensure data privacy.

Regards

Elsa Olivera
Re: Data analytics- Gathering data from learners search queries
by Elsa Olivera - Tuesday, 30 November 2021, 12:01 AM

Thanks Craig, we'll explore these options.