Totara Perform Open Discussions

Frequency Trigger of 0 days (i.e. immediate creation on new template on completion of existing one)

Daniel Bond
Frequency Trigger of 0 days (i.e. immediate creation on new template on completion of existing one)
by Daniel Bond - Tuesday, 19 April 2022, 1:09 AM
Group Most helpful contributor 2023

Currently, we are using the Appraisal functionality of Totara Learn v14, but would be very interested in moving to use Perform if it solved some of our frustrations with the functionality in Learn.

One of the big issues we have is having to create multiple copies of the same template so as one is completed another can be pushed out, so the Repeating option for Perform is excellent. The one issue I think I have discovered in testing (and it might just be me missing something) is that there doesn't seem to be a "Immediately after completion of previous instance" option (or the ability to set the "Time since completion of previous instance" to 0) for Frequency.

The workflow for us would be to close off an existing appraisal template and set new objectives in the new template during the same meeting, so having to wait until the following day (the minimum time which can be specified) is going to lead to a lot of staff not having objectives set. At the moment on Learn we push out a new copy of the template before the previous one is due to be completed (so there's immediately a template available when it is), but ideally on Perform we would like there always to be exactly 1 active template available (the current one).

Am I missing something?

Craig Eves
Re: Frequency Trigger of 0 days (i.e. immediate creation on new template on completion of existing one)
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 19 April 2022, 6:25 PM
Group Totara

There have been some improvements to the performance activity creation triggers in the soon to be released Totara 16

The additional triggers include 

• Closure of a previous instance
  • Closure or completion of a previous instance (whichever is sooner)
The ticket reference is TL-33734 if you have access to the ticket through a Partner

Regards

Phil Williscroft
Re: Frequency Trigger of 0 days (i.e. immediate creation on new template on completion of existing one)
by Phil Williscroft - Wednesday, 20 April 2022, 2:32 PM

HI Daniel.

To add to what Craig has said.  I'm interested in the specific workflow you want to create.

You say:

"The workflow for us would be to close off an existing appraisal template and set new objectives in the new template"

This implies you are undertake a Goal/Objective setting and management process.

Some questions

1. Can you describe the purpose and desired outcomes of this process.
  2. when you say "set new objectives"  do you mean learning plan objectives specifically?
  3. what are you recording in the appraisal?
  4. how do you use the information stored in the appraisal?

Thanks

Daniel Bond
by Daniel Bond - Thursday, 21 April 2022, 12:41 AM

1. The purpose of the process is for a manager to set objectives at the start of a year (first stage of the appraisal template), review them at the end of the year (last stage of the appraisal template) and then mark the template as complete. At the point that a template is complete, a new one should start, so the process of setting new objectives can occur. Generally, we would expect the reviewing of one set of objectives, closing of the current appraisal, opening of a new appraisal and setting of new objectives to happen in the same meeting so the new template appearing even 1 day after the previous one was completed won't work for us.
  2. We don't use Learning Plans, never found the functionality to meet our needs. In this case, objectives are agreed and either typed into a free text box, or uploaded as a file attachment (which is another thing that Perform seems to be missing, but that might be a separate thread)
  3. The current appraisal template, implemented in the legacy performance management functionality of Totara Learn (which we've been using for appraisals since 2014) has sections for setting objectives (as well as documenting wellbeing conversations, etc.), ongoing catch-ups, and an end of year review which includes ratings for how well objectives have been met, etc.
  4. In theory, a manager or member of staff could look back over the 8 years of appraisals we have in Totara Learn, see what objectives were set, what end of year decision was made in terms of whether the appraisal was successful (which can be pay-affecting). etc. Our looking at Perform is mostly a desire for additional functionality which the legacy performance management in Learn doesn't offer, so we're definitely open to exploring what can be done in terms of Talent Management, etc. 

Phil Williscroft
by Phil Williscroft - Thursday, 21 April 2022, 2:45 PM

Thanks Daniel.

I've got a number of ideas that I think will offer a lot more than managing all of this as text in an appraisal.  I'm putting together some ideas and a demo you can play with.  I'll be in touch soon with the details.

Thanks. 

Daniel Bond
by Daniel Bond - Friday, 22 April 2022, 12:02 AM

Thanks. Definitely open to trying new things as long as there is also a reliable text and file upload option (so we can at least replicate the existing functionality of the legacy performance management in Learn).

Phil Williscroft
by Phil Williscroft - Monday, 25 April 2022, 2:59 PM

relevant thread  https://totara.community/container/type/workspace/discussion.php?id=309

Phil Williscroft
by Phil Williscroft - Wednesday, 20 April 2022, 2:42 PM

Oh and to respond to your specific question.

In Perform its true we don't offer an immediate trigger based on completion.  However I think there's some other options for setting objectives.  What works best depends on what you are trying to achieve hence my previous questions/clarifications.