Totara Learn Open Discussions

HTML code to show the username

Suhaz Hari
HTML code to show the username
by Suhaz Hari - Monday, 7 November 2022, 4:59 PM

I would like to add a block to the landing page (Dashboard) with a welcome message using the username like "Welcome back Username". Is there a way to do this? If so, can someone share the HTML code?

Sue Blake
Re: HTML code to show the username
by Sue Blake - Monday, 7 November 2022, 11:18 PM
Group Good learner 2023Group Most Helpful Contributor 2022Group Most helpful contributor 2023Group TXP Site Administrator

Hi, attached is what our landing page looks like.  It is using an HTML block with this coding.

Hi {alternatename}

Welcome to GEM,
Diamond's Learning Portal.

Hope this helps.

Sue

Suhaz Hari
by Suhaz Hari - Wednesday, 9 November 2022, 3:00 PM

Hi Sue,

Thank you very much for your reply. I tried adding this to the block, but it didn't work. 

Can you please send me the complete HTML code for the block?

Regards

Suhaz Hari

Sue Blake
by Sue Blake - Thursday, 10 November 2022, 2:13 AM
Group Good learner 2023Group Most Helpful Contributor 2022Group Most helpful contributor 2023Group TXP Site Administrator

Hi Suhaz,

The coding is just like this: 

<h3>Hi {alternatename}</h3><h3>Welcome to GEM,<br>Diamond's Learning Portal.</h3>

Alternatename is a field we have populated in the Users Accounts under Additional names.  The block was originally created for us by our external partner so I am not sure if they had to do anything in the setup to allow that field to be recognised.

Sue

Senka Grossauer
by Senka Grossauer - Thursday, 27 April 2023, 3:40 AM

Hi everyone, thanks for discussing this idea, I find it very good to "personalise" the wellcome dashboard. Unfortunately this HTML code didn't work in my HTML block. I still see

although I posted: <h3>Hi {alternatename}, Welcome to</h3> in the HTML view

Is there any way to make this work?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Senka

Jane Warwick
by Jane Warwick - Wednesday, 7 June 2023, 5:02 PM