Totara Learn Open Discussions

Automate delays between courses?

Erin Milanese
Automate delays between courses?
by Erin Milanese - Friday, 2 December 2022, 2:06 PM
Group TotaraGroup TXP Site Administrator

Hi - curious if anyone has any ideas on this request we have from a client. They are on Totara 15. 

The client would like there to be a 1 week delay between when one program is completed and the next one comes available, but would like this to be automated and dynamic. 

For example, a new employee would be assigned to the first course in the New employe orientation, but then the 2nd requirement wouldn't be assigned/available until 1 week later. 

Thanks for any suggestions!

Simon Seiffert
Re: Automate delays between courses?
by Simon Seiffert - Sunday, 4 December 2022, 7:37 PM
Group Most Helpful Contributor 2022Group Most helpful contributor 2023Group TXP Site Administrator

Hi Erin,

I think you could achieve this by enrolling those users (via an audience based on the program completion) into a 'dummy' course, which has a 1-week completion (User must be enrolled for 1 weeks) or using the Reengagement activity.

You'd then have a new audience setup, with the dynamic rule that the above Dummy course is completed, and then enrolled into the next Program.

I think that would work!

Simon.

Erin Milanese
by Erin Milanese - Monday, 5 December 2022, 2:07 PM
Group TotaraGroup TXP Site Administrator

Simon -

Interesting idea! I hadn't thought of that and am testing it now.

Do you know if the learner will have to access the "Dummy Course" in order for it to count as complete?

Simon Seiffert
by Simon Seiffert - Monday, 5 December 2022, 5:37 PM
Group Most Helpful Contributor 2022Group Most helpful contributor 2023Group TXP Site Administrator
They don't - it will appear on their RoL, but they don't need to access it if they're enrolled directly.

I use dummy courses to enable trainer enrolment into Programs/Certifications, without the learner accessing them!