Totara Perform Open Discussions

Automatic closure of a Performance Activity

Tom Grocott
Automatic closure of a Performance Activity
by Tom Grocott - Friday, 8 December 2023, 8:00 AM

My organisation is looking at moving the appraisal process online, and up until now, we have been looking at completing this using a workflow that an external company has produced for us. We've not been happy with the limitations this brings, so are now looking at using the Performance Activities system instead and developing this in-house.

I have created a six-section appraisal activity. The appraisal must be editable until both parties have completed all their sections. When they've both completed the appraisal, it needs to be marked as closed automatically on the last section, or able to be closed manually by the subject at the end.

I've found that it's possible to close the activity automatically at the end by selecting the "automatic closure on completion" setting. However, this closes each section individually, meaning users can't go back to edit their responses if needed. I require the sections to get closed together at the end, not as a user goes along.

Is there a way for the subject and/or appraiser to close the appraisal manually at the end, either through a button or the manage participation page? I have been able to set it up so Managers can manually close activities for those in their AOR, but not all of our appraisers are the subject's direct line managers, so wouldn't be able to do this. If I give subjects the user permission to close activities manually, then they can see everyone's appraisal instances across the whole organisation. Can it be restricted so they only see their own entries?

Craig Eves
Re: Automatic closure of a Performance Activity
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 10 December 2023, 12:59 PM
Group Totara

Hi Tom

Once a performance activity is closed then it can only be reopened through the manage activities interface. The manage activities permissions provides access to all performance activities that were created by the user so if this permission was allowed for the Appraisers they could open a whole performance activity or just the sections that need changing on request.

Using the save as draft could also be used so that the section is not marked as complete so wouldn't close so would be editable.

Another option is If you used the close on due date then the activity would remain open and editable until the due date is reached

regards