Totara Learn Open Discussions

Modifying Certificate Print Date

Peter Imre Oliver
Modifying Certificate Print Date
by Peter Imre Oliver - Wednesday, 22 May 2024, 2:42 AM

Dear experts,

We are looking into the option of modifyig the certificate print date in courses, where a few users might need to repeat the content after a while, or after being absent. These are standard courses without recertification, but we would like the re-issued certificates in these courses to display the most recent completion date of the course.

I have found a feature request which perfectly describes this issue: Suggest Totara Learn features - TL-20316 Enable a certificate to be re-issued on a learner becoming certified.

It would be great if someone could look into this, or provide ideas for a workaround 🙂

Thanks

Oliver

Craig Eves
Re: Modifying Certificate Print Date
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 23 May 2024, 7:51 PM
Group Totara

Hi Peter

Using Open Badges offer more flexibiling in deleting, expiring dates, verification, portability, description of criteria

Certificates don't allow deletion or reissuing

regards

Csaba Gloner
by Csaba Gloner - Monday, 3 June 2024, 6:25 AM
Group Good learner 2023Group Partners

Hi Craig,

What about using a certification for the course containing the certificate?
Will the certification reset the certificate activity so that the user who has for example an earlier completion date in 2021 printed on their certificate can get a new certificate with the new completion date printed on it? Or even with the secon completion they will still have the old completion date printed on the certificate?

Thanks
Csaba

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 10 June 2024, 2:35 PM
Group Totara

Hi Csaba

Unfortunately resetting the course when the certification is complete doesn't reset the certificate and the certificate isn't able to be regenerated or deleted .

Perhaps creating another certificate activity in the course and restricting access to the old certificate might be an option.

regards

Jon Evans
by Jon Evans - Tuesday, 11 June 2024, 12:07 AM
Group Partners

Hi folks

Doesn't the certificate archive handle this on re-certification? (/mod/certificate/viewarchive.php?certid=x)

Regards

Peter Imre Oliver
by Peter Imre Oliver - Tuesday, 11 June 2024, 11:31 PM

Hi everyone,

I would like to inform you about one workaround I have found.

In our system, we use quizzes as a final assessment in courses with certificates. Previously, the certificate would print the course completion date, which would in this case be the date when everything, including the quiz, was completed.

For the new solution:

Quiz grading method: "Last attempt"

Certificate print date: Completion of final quiz

With this setup, the certificate can be unlocked by completing the quiz, with the date printed as usual. If the quiz is completed again in the future, the date on the certificate is updated. If the quiz is failed in the future, the certificate becomes unavailable until the quiz is passed again (effect of the grading method "Last attempt", instead of highest grade). For our case, we don't really care about the score in quizzes, a pass grade is enough and the score is never displayed on certificates.

I hope this could help someone, let me know if you have any questions 🙂

Best,
Oliver