Best practice forum (Archived)

Audience with Rule relating to custom field

Andy Murphy
Audience with Rule relating to custom field
by Andy Murphy - Tuesday, 28 July 2015, 7:27 AM

Hi all,

I have a custom field which is a drop down menu for marking users as on secondment, maternity, paternity, sickness and one option for No.  No is the default.  When I look at a users profile, it shows the default value of No (that's good so far).

I have an audience set up with a rule (ruleset #1) to include all users in an organisation (including subcategories).

I've added a second ruleset that says AND the customfield "IsUserAway" is set to "No".  This is so the audience excludes those on secondment, maternity etc so they don't get chased up for learning.

However, when I add this second ruleset the audience looses all members.  I've done an export of the users and it seems even though the default value is set to No, it actually doesn't show up until you go an edit the users profile.

Do I have to go and update all user profiles to the field, or should the audience be picking it up from the field set to default when I created the custom field?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Andy.

Tom Wood
Re: Audience with Rule relating to custom field
by Tom Wood - Friday, 31 July 2015, 6:36 AM
Group Totara

Hi Andy,

Thank you for getting in touch to report this issue. The issue you've described is one we are already aware of and currently investigating a fix for. For future reference the issue ID is TL-6578.

I've also linked this forum post to the related issue so that we can provide an update once this has been fixed and is ready for release.

Thanks

Tom Wood

Totara Product Support

Andy Murphy
by Andy Murphy - Friday, 31 July 2015, 7:34 AM

Thanks Tom, just great to know i'm not crazy.

Peter Pappas
by Peter Pappas - Friday, 31 July 2015, 9:28 AM

Hi Andy,

I use custom menus as well and faced the same issue after our totara was updated from 2.6.17(I think)  to 2.7.3 the fields were working fine but for some reason all the audiences that were set to contains "some menu item" were changed to does not contain "some menu item".

I deducted that there was something wrong with the way it was displaying and the underlying code was (hopefully) not bad. what I did is not mess with the rules that were working properly before the upgrade but displaying the wrong text (does not contain vs. contains) and any new rules I used that I wanted to show that the menu item was a certain value I used does not contain. this works perfectly.

Hopefully it is only a language problem or something easy like that because I dread going through and fixing the 100+ rules I have set up or worse data loss.

Peter