Best practice forum (Archived)

Certification Assignment via Audience

Michelle Lamont
Certification Assignment via Audience
by Michelle Lamont - Wednesday, 7 June 2017, 11:46 PM

Hi,

Just seeking to clarify whether a certification we've setup will work correctly, as we're trying something slightly different with the audience assignment and the reporting I'm seeing is not what I'm expecting.  We're using V 2.9.18.

How we've got this setup:

• We have a course containing a face-to-face activity only, and when attendees are booked into a session and marked as Fully Attended, the course is marked complete
  • Completion of the above course drives the members of a dynamic audience called 'Fire Officers'
  • The 'Fire Officers' audience is setup under Assignments in the Certification.  So I guess enrolment in the certification is kind of working backwards.
  • The Certification path is:
    • Complete Fire Officer Course
    • For recertification, complete the same Fire Officer course
  • Under the Certification tab in the certification:
    • Recertification date field is set to 'Use certification completion date'
    • The certification is active for 3 years
    • The period window opens 3 months before expiration

Whilst the above all seems to work OK, when I view any of the learners progress it shows that all learners have completed the original certification path as well as the recertification Path, but they have only completed the Original certification path.  See pics in attached document.  Plus, both the original certification path and the recertification path completions show the exact same completion date also shown in the attached.

The Certification - Record of Learning report, all seems to be in order (see example pic on page 2 in the attached).

Just want to make sure we're not going to run into any problems with the recert window comes around for these learners.

Thanks,

Michelle

Nathan Lewis
Re: Certification Assignment via Audience
by Nathan Lewis - Thursday, 8 June 2017, 2:40 PM
Group Totara

Hi Michelle.

The recertification path isn't actually complete, just the courses that are contained in it. Paths can only be completed when you're on them. At this point (certified, before window opens), the user isn't on either path. When the recertification window opens, the course will be reset and completing it will cause completion of the recertification path only, as you're expecting, not the primary certification path, even though it contains the same course.

Just to point out another example. If a certification had one course for primary certification and a different course for recertification, and a user completed the second course before the recertification window opened, then it wouldn't trigger recertification. The warning near the top of the page you posted explains that the course progress would be lost when the recertification window opens.

Nathan

Nathan Lewis
by Nathan Lewis - Thursday, 8 June 2017, 2:46 PM
Group Totara

Hi Michelle.

I just thought I should mention: When the recertification window opens, the user will no longer be complete in the course. This could affect audience membership. To prevent the user being automatically removed, untick "Remove a user's membership when they no longer meet the rule sets criteria" in the audience "Rule sets" tab.

Nathan

Michelle Lamont
by Michelle Lamont - Thursday, 8 June 2017, 10:05 PM

Thanks so much for clarifying Nathan, really appreciate it.  Great tip too about unticking "remove a user's membership when they no longer meet the rule sets criteria" in the audience.  Didn't think to do this when I set it up, so you've definitely saved us from facing lots of grief down the track.

Regards, Michelle