Best practice forum (Archived)

SCORM 1.2 status / auto-continue failure

Dan Bonetto
SCORM 1.2 status / auto-continue failure
by Dan Bonetto - Monday, 23 June 2014, 1:31 AM

Is there an issue with SCORM 1.2 and Totara?

Should we be able to exit a course and then come back and complete it later (like other LMS's).

We seem to have an issue where if you leave the module before it is complete, it marks the SCORM status as incomplete and then as soon as you come back in, the status is automatically recorded as failed regardless of what happens.

It only seems to work if you complete the whole thing in one/on your first attempt.

The course was tested in SCORM cloud and the ability to auto-continue wasn't an issue and the status didn't auto fail as soon as you continued the module.

Is this a known issues and / or are there any fixes likely to come to rectify this problem?

Tom Ireland
Re: SCORM 1.2 status / auto-continue failure
by Tom Ireland - Monday, 23 June 2014, 2:58 AM
Group Totara

Hi, Dan

What version of Totara are you running? We fixed a recent bug related to a critical SCORM error where subsequent attempts after an initial failed attempt were not being recorded. See the fix:- T-12463 (2.5.13.1 and 2.6.2). Here's a quick link to the highlighted fix for both versions.

If this issue is different to and/or is happening in the versions I've mentioned above, I would encourage you to contact your Totara Solution Partner and they can raise a support ticket on your behalf via our helpdesk.

Cheers

Tom

Dan Bonetto
by Dan Bonetto - Monday, 23 June 2014, 6:43 AM

Hi Tom,

We are running Version 2.5.14 (Build: 20140610.00).

I did raise a ticket with my solution partner, and was advised that they had raised a ticket and the issue we were having was just standard scorm functionality which seemed odd to me as it works perfectly in the SCORM cloud and another non moodle based LMS that I have since tested.

Should I get them to raise a new ticket?

Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer)
by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Monday, 23 June 2014, 2:51 PM

Hi Dan,

Moodle recently made changes to their SCORM module that created this issue. The Moodle SCORM maintainer insists that this approach is actually correct according to the SCORM specifications. Once an attempt results in a recorded status of passed, failed or completed, any subsequent attempt will only open in review mode, unless "Force new attempt" setting is set to On.

Do you still have problems even if "Force new attempt" is turned on?

Dan Bonetto
by Dan Bonetto - Monday, 23 June 2014, 11:33 PM

Hi Ciaran,

The force new attempt allows a users to at least retake the module (much better than before).

We just can't utilise the exit and resume functionality (eg. if a module is 90 minutes and you wan't to break it up into 2 sittings) which works in the other LMS' (as mentioned).

Is the ability to resume likely to come back?  If was definetly there is the early versions of Totara/moodle that we were using.