Best practice forum (Archived)

Force login bug?

Michele Mason
Force login bug?
by Michele Mason - Monday, 27 February 2012, 4:38 PM

Hi

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I was looking into the 'Force user to login' and found that the default is labelled differently in Totara than it is in Moodle. In Moodle the default is labeled 'No' and in Totara it is labeled 'Yes' but if you leave it unticked in Totara then the user isn't forced to login so I think the lable is incorrect.

Please see the attached Moodle login settings and I'll upload the Totara login settings in a reply thread.

Regards Michele

Michele Mason
Re: Force login bug?
by Michele Mason - Monday, 27 February 2012, 4:39 PM

Force login Totara settings attached

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Monday, 27 February 2012, 5:09 PM
Group Totara

Hi Michele,

We intentionally changed the setting so that the default was 'Yes'. That means that on a new site users will have to login to see the course listings.

However you can still manually uncheck the box if you don't want people to have to login, it's just that you have to explicitly change the setting.

Simon

Michele Mason
by Michele Mason - Tuesday, 28 February 2012, 12:56 PM

Okay but I thought if the default is Yes (being that the user has to login to see anything) why is there a check in the box, isn't that a contradiction? It should already be unchecked and if you want it to be No (being that the user does not have to login to see anything) then we should check in the box? Because in Moodle as I said the default is No and because I want users to login before seeing anything I have checked the box to make it Yes.

It's quite confusing because if the default is already Yes then checking the box should make it No but this is not the case in Totara.

Michele

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Sunday, 4 March 2012, 7:22 PM
Group Totara

I agree it is a bit confusing, I know what it does but I'm finding it hard to explain!

In both moodle and totara the form works as follows:

box not checked = users don't have to login to see the courses

box checked = users do have to login to see the courses

The only difference is that in Totara, on a new installation, the checkbox state starts with a tick in it. That's what the grey "default: yes" text means.

I guess it would be clearer if it said "default: checked" as it means that the default value for this form element is that the box is ticked, meaning that users are forced to login.

Do you think it would make more sense to you it if read "default: checked"?

Simon

Michele Mason
by Michele Mason - Sunday, 4 March 2012, 7:48 PM

No it would make more sense if the grey wording was the same as in Moodle 'No" because the default is and always has been what ever is written in the text next to the box and if you want it to be the opposite you would check the box. But in Totara for this one at least the default is Yes as long as it is checked. So does this mean that other defaults in Totara are the opposite to Moodle as well?

Why would they change something like this it just doesn't make any sense at all?

Michele

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Sunday, 4 March 2012, 11:14 PM
Group Totara

Ah, I think see the problem - we changed the default (from No to Yes) but failed to update the text. We need to change this:

Normally, the front page of the site and the course listings (but not courses) can be read by people without logging in to the site. If you want to force people to log in before they do ANYTHING on the site, then you should enable this setting.

to this:

Normally, the entire site is only available to logged in users. If you would like to make the front page and the course listings (but not the course contents) available without logging in, then you should uncheck this setting.

The reason we changed the setting was because we wanted to modify the default behaviour for new sites (for people who didn't change at the setting at all), to make it a bit more private by default.

If we changed the text to the second option do you think that would make it clearer what we mean?

Simon

? ?
by ? ? - Wednesday, 14 March 2012, 1:47 PM

Hi folks,

We've changed the description text in today's release v1.1.13, hopefully it should now be clearer and avoid any confusion.

Ciaran