Best practice forum (Archived)

This forum discussion has been removed

This forum post has been removed
Tuesday, 1 May 2012, 10:28 PM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
Simon Coggins
Re: Related Competencies
by Simon Coggins - Wednesday, 2 May 2012, 2:48 AM
Group Totara

That's a good question!

The only thing it does at the moment is to list the related competencies on the 'view' page for each competeny. I guess it could be useful if you need to quickly move between competencies that aren't close in the hierarchy.

I think there were plans to extend the behaviour further, but it never got implemented. Do you have anything in mind that you'd like them to do?

If they don't serve a purpose and we don't have plans to make use of them I can't see why we should keep them.

Simon

Tim Newham
by Tim Newham - Wednesday, 2 May 2012, 3:30 AM
Group Partners

I can see this relatedness being useful for us in the future, so please don't remove them! In our healthcare world, staff often have to deal with multiple framworks (for example their organisational one, then the regulator's, then also their professional body).

So showing that the achievement of one competency contributes - at least in part - to the achievement of another in a different framework could be a significant time-saver.

Thanks

Tim

Austen Sinclair
by Austen Sinclair - Wednesday, 2 May 2012, 3:14 PM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator

Hi Guys

We're dependant on related competencies - please don't remove them!

In our world (Tax administration) our staff build development plans with competencies from several frameworks - yet these separate frameworks generally have overlap and often effectively have duplicate competencies. Even within a singe framework competencies evolve - in the process becoming similar but not the same. 

We plan to address this (as our use of Totara in development planing space matures) by connecting similiar Competencies as either;

• related, being a compountent of another Comp (not really a parent-child relationship nor a sub-competency) e.g. you can be Competent in a high level Communications Comp without holding the related Powerpoint Comp.  
  • equivalent, the competencies are very close in functional scope.  We have many technical competencies where small changes in role (or the process) have occurred.  We then tend to create a new Comp and treat those who held the older version as still competent.

Cheers
Austen

This forum post has been removed
Wednesday, 2 May 2012, 4:02 PM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Wednesday, 2 May 2012, 5:55 PM
Group Totara

Well I've learnt something today! Really good to know that related competencies are being used, and to find out more about how. Now I know that they are used, obviously we won't be removing them. smile

At some point in the future we may look at extending them so they are more tightly integrated with learning plans etc, we'll be sure to start a discussion here before we do though to help us understand what people need from them.

Thanks everyone!

Simon

Austen Sinclair
by Austen Sinclair - Wednesday, 2 May 2012, 4:35 PM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator

Doh!

We are already using Related Competencies - in the attached screen shot you can see:

• A Totara Competency "Phones GST" (in the context of our Operation Management process it's call a Core Task)
  • near the bottom of the screen is the Related competencies - which also shows their rating value for the staff member and the link to add it to their Individual Development Plan (IDP)  

@Jonathan, good to see you!  We're one the organisations that use Lominger and you're quite right it uses related, similar and families of Competencies within its framework.

Cheers
Austen