Best practice forum (Archived)

Graphs from Completion Data? HELP!

Lee Hollins
Graphs from Completion Data? HELP!
by Lee Hollins - Tuesday, 26 March 2013, 8:40 AM

We have a client who would like to be able to see their learners completion data in graph form,  They are particularly keen to access information such as %'s of learners who have completed course/program 'x' and perhaps bar charts providing summaries of course completions etc etc. 

At present i have the course/program reports which can be exported in excel etc. Is there a method or means of easily and quickly get this data into a graphic form? I am keen to take the burden off of the clients and dont really want to have to say "once you have the data you need to go away and edit it yourselves" - they have already stated that others platforms on the market offer neat reporting functionality!! 

Any help really appreciated. Lee

me
Re: Graphs from Completion Data? HELP!
by George Angus - Tuesday, 26 March 2013, 3:22 PM
Group Totara

Hi Lee,

Graphical reporting isnt available at present, one of our partners is working on this at the moment but there is no timeline available. 

regards,

George.

Lee Hollins
by Lee Hollins - Tuesday, 26 March 2013, 10:55 PM

Thanks for the prompt response George. Heart breaking but much appreciated :-)
William Kennedy-Long
by William Kennedy-Long - Wednesday, 27 March 2013, 6:42 AM

As someone who is interested in developiong my knowledge in this subject, can't the statistics function do this? 

Lee Hollins
by Lee Hollins - Wednesday, 27 March 2013, 6:55 AM

Hi William, all ive managed to get out of the stats is a very very primitive graph which doesnt seem to give you chance to change or select variables, and so therefore not drill down specific areas of interest. somebody tell me if im wrong!!
Amir Elion
by Amir Elion - Wednesday, 27 March 2013, 8:19 AM

We have done a working prototype or POC for a Report Builder Graph element which admin allows to define a graph to be added to a report (pie or bar graphs), for one of our clients.

It's not fully complete and needs some work but seem to go towards what your client seems to need, I think.

Here are 2 sample images:

Amir Elion
by Amir Elion - Wednesday, 27 March 2013, 8:20 AM

and bar example

me
by George Angus - Wednesday, 27 March 2013, 1:59 PM
Group Totara

Hi Amir,

Thanks for your input on this, and great work!

regards,

George.

Lee Hollins
by Lee Hollins - Wednesday, 27 March 2013, 8:44 AM

Hi Amir,

Looks like a great improvement. is it something that will be available in the fullness of time?

Lee

Amir Elion
by Amir Elion - Wednesday, 27 March 2013, 8:58 AM

Hi Lee,

This was done for a specific client and funded by them.

It needs more work to be considered as candidate for plugin or core, and at any rate would need Totara core team say on this, obviously taking into account broader considerations.

I shared this now in order to demonstarte that there may be a possible direction. Hopefully it helps.

Amir

Lee Hollins
by Lee Hollins - Wednesday, 27 March 2013, 9:11 AM

Its really useful to know solutions are on the horizon. Thanks Amir.
Austen Sinclair
by Austen Sinclair - Wednesday, 27 March 2013, 1:20 PM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator

Hi Amir

Just puting in our vote for this as well! 

Cheers

Austen

Tony Richens
by Tony Richens - Thursday, 28 March 2013, 2:58 AM
Group Partners

Hi Lee,

From a non-development / least cost perspective, for a client I suggested exporting the data via report manager and importing the results into an Excel 'template' where macros / VBA was used to undertake any calculations & generate the required graphs.

A little 'clunky' and manual, though low-cost.

Tony

Lee Hollins
by Lee Hollins - Thursday, 28 March 2013, 3:20 AM

Hi Tony, this is ultimately where i find myself.My issue is that it 'feels' like i am offering a bang-whizz LMS whilst on one hand on the other i am having to tell clients they will have to invest time and energy themselves to do anything meaningful with the data.

i feel like im selling someone a bike with a puncture. maybe im being hard but in the age where the expectation is a solution that is a fit with customers needs, this doesnt feel like as good a fit as i would want as a customer.

But we live in hope, Amir is doing some great work, and so maybe i have to accept that tomorrow will come. one day. soon i hope. Lee

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 7 April 2013, 3:35 PM
Group Totara

Hi Lee

There are some advantages to exporting data into a spreadsheet compared to have a web application do this that you can make your clients aware of.

• takes load of data analysis from web server to the spreadsheet
  • the spreadsheet can have predefined graphs and analysis in them so the data only needs to be copied and inserted into spreadsheet and graphs and analysis (use range names in formulas to accomplish this)
  • spreadsheet allow more control over output than web application as they don't have the limited  fonts or layout options of web application
  • allows multidimensional data to be analysed with builtin data cubes.
  • the interface of spreadsheets is familiar to a large number of people
  • spreadsheets have a wide range of data analysis, stats tools
  • is ready to go - doesn't need development time to create analysis tools

Craig

Lee Hollins
by Lee Hollins - Sunday, 7 April 2013, 11:40 PM

Thanks Craig.
William Kennedy-Long
by William Kennedy-Long - Tuesday, 9 April 2013, 4:03 AM

It's an interesting take on data analysis, but clients want dashbaord analytics that they can call upon more immediately, the problem with exporting data into excel spareadsheets is that it is very time consuming, and labour intensive.  
GianLuca BRAMBATI
by Gianluca Brambati - Tuesday, 9 April 2013, 4:20 AM
Group Partners

Hi William,

@ this moment we are developing some graphical analyzes on courses completion  and costs. If you have interest you can contact us directly.

Lee Hollins
by Lee Hollins - Tuesday, 9 April 2013, 4:27 AM

That was the conclusion that dare not speak its name. I agree.
Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 9 April 2013, 1:57 PM
Group Totara

There probably is room for both types of analysis tools - Excel for more powerful analysis and layout options and web based for immediate results.

I don't think exporting data to a spreadsheet is very labour intensive though. From the report builder - any report created has an export to spreadsheet button and the report can be scheduled to be emailed in spreadsheet format at specified intervals and selected filters.

Craig

William Kennedy-Long
by William Kennedy-Long - Thursday, 28 March 2013, 8:36 AM

Lee

Don't know if this helps but have you explored Jaspersoft's open source iReport http://community.jaspersoft.com/project/ireport-designer

Lee Hollins
by Lee Hollins - Thursday, 28 March 2013, 11:58 AM

Hi William, no i havent! my fingers are crossed.. i will boldly go where i havent gone before! Many thanks. best regards

Lee