Best practice forum (Archived)

Instant Course Completion in Programs

Susan Hurley
Instant Course Completion in Programs
by Susan Hurley - Thursday, 5 December 2013, 12:50 PM
Group Partners

Hi guys,

As part of 2.5, we now have instant course completions, which I love! But I'm wondering about how that should work in programs. I think, from reading other threads, that completing a course which instantly shows completion should also instantly allow the user to progress to the next course set in the Program. But that is not what I am seeing in my testing.

I have tested a program, and even though the course is complete, it is not letting me progress to the next course set in the program - or not allowing that progression as soon as I see the course as complete. Is this as intended, or a bug? I will attach a screenshot.

Thank you!

Susan

Wesley Holden
Re: Instant Course Completion in Programs
by Wesley Holden - Thursday, 5 December 2013, 1:04 PM

Hi Susan,

Are you refreshing/reloading the required learning page after completing the course activities? The progress bar/button won't be updated until you reload the page.

Thanks!

Susan Hurley
by Susan Hurley - Thursday, 5 December 2013, 1:13 PM
Group Partners

Hi Lori, Yes, I have refreshed the screen. Although, note that the program progress bar *did* update properly and instantly. The program is 3 courses/sets long, and as soon as the first completion registered, the program progress bar did show 33%.

Thanks!

Susan

Susan Hurley
by Susan Hurley - Wednesday, 11 December 2013, 7:01 AM
Group Partners

Hi Totara team, Have you been able to determine if this is expected behavior or not?

Thank you!

Susan

Wesley Holden
by Wesley Holden - Monday, 16 December 2013, 8:41 AM

Hi Susan,

Sorry for the delay in response. Could you send me screenshots of the Content Tab of your program? As far as I can tell, there's something not behaving appropriately here but I can't replicate it. I'm wondering if something in the Content tab (setting a course set to require all versus any) might be the cause. It shouldn't make a difference, but I'd like to test it.

Thanks!

Wesley Holden
by Wesley Holden - Tuesday, 17 December 2013, 1:27 PM

We took a look and found that Audience-based visibility had been enabled for the course, but the learner was not in one of the selected audiences hence the "Not Available" button. As soon as the visibility setting was changed, the learner could access the course.