Best practice forum (Archived)

Recurring Courses - Cannot find Course End Date

Tom Ireland
Recurring Courses - Cannot find Course End Date
by Tom Ireland - Thursday, 5 December 2013, 6:59 AM
Group Totara

I've created a recurring course in Totara (2.5.2) that needs to be completed within 2 months and then should recur every 365 days. I cannot seem to find where the Course End Date is so that the course gets recreated at the right time.

I believe Moodle have removed the Course End Date from Moodle 2.5 and I can only see the Course Start Date.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Tom

John Brown
Re: Recurring Courses - Cannot find Course End Date
by John Brown - Thursday, 5 December 2013, 7:18 AM

Tom,

My understanding with 2.5 is that you would now use the certificate module to recreate this type of function. You would put this course as the way they can certify and then recertify by putting the same course in the recert area. The Certificate would then be set to reoccur every 365 days.

That may not be the answer you are looking for but what we have employed to make this function work for us.

John

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Sunday, 8 December 2013, 2:58 PM
Group Totara

An earlier version of programs required a course end date but we removed that requirement in version 2.2 - now courses recur based on the start date.

John is correct that in Totara 2.5 certifications are intended to replace recurring courses - they support a better range of options so I would recommend using them instead if you can. Recurring courses in programs may (eventually) be removed in favour of certifications.

Simon

Henry Webber
by Henry Webber - Monday, 24 March 2014, 4:39 PM

Hi,

We're having some trouble setting up recurring courses successfully in 2.4.10.  I've created a program containing a recurring course, which users need to complete in 2 years time.  In the 'Course creation' settings, I specified 2 days (i.e. the recurring course should not be copied and created until 2 days before the specified interval passes, in 2016.)  However, the recurring courses are already being created in the system automatically (multiple versions of each course are being created also).  We don't have access to an 'End date' setting within the course settings - is that what might be causing the problem?

Simon, you mention that courses now recur based on the start date.  Are you able to elaborate on how that works - i.e. are the courses meant to be created based on the 'Repeat every...' setting (i.e. 2 years) following the Start Date specified in the course settings?

If anyone has any advice on this I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks!

Tom Ireland
by Tom Ireland - Monday, 9 December 2013, 5:41 AM
Group Totara
Hey, John and Simon Thank you very much for your prompt replies. I ave now setup a Certification which seems to work as intended. Can I confirm, will the Certification zero completion when recertifying at the appropriate time? Cheers Tom
Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Monday, 9 December 2013, 11:25 AM
Group Totara

Yes, when the recertification window opens it will remove the current completion record (putting it into a history table). It will also reset the grade and any activities which need to be retaken.

Simon