Best practice forum (Archived)

V2.5.10 Cron Job for External Database Totara Sync

Michelle Lamont
V2.5.10 Cron Job for External Database Totara Sync
by Michelle Lamont - Tuesday, 25 March 2014, 5:17 PM

Hi,

Until now we've uploaded Organisation, Position and User data into Torara (when using V2.4) via CSV upload and are now looking at replacing this with the Totara Sync external database feature.  We've not set this up yet, but assuming we get it to work, are you able to setup a schedule for the database sync to occur with Totara?  Is there a cron job to kick off the sync?  Haven't been able to find any specific information about this so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Michelle

? ?
Re: V2.5.10 Cron Job for External Database Totara Sync
by ? ? - Tuesday, 25 March 2014, 5:58 PM

Not really in 2.4 - you could set up a cron job to just call the Sync cron job I suppose (admin/tool/totara_sync/run_cron.php) - but Totara 2.5 adds a Sync scheduler

Site Admin -> Totara Sync -> General Settings, you can set the sync to run daily, weekly etc at a certain time similar to the Report Builder scheduled reports.

Michelle Lamont
by Michelle Lamont - Tuesday, 25 March 2014, 6:24 PM

Thanks so much for your quick reply Ciaran.  Sorry, I didn't make myself clear when I mentioned V2.4.  We are now using V2.5.10 and I did see the sync Schedule area in General Setting. However because this setting shares the page with the 'File Access' settings (Upload Files and Directory Check) I incorrectly assumed the schedule component was only for this purpose, not the External Database component.

So it sounds like the Schedule area is exactly what we need to use.

Thanks so much

Michelle

? ?
by ? ? - Tuesday, 25 March 2014, 6:43 PM

Be aware though there is a small bug in that the sync cron will only run every 8 hours regardless of the schedule so it will actually sync on the next 8-hour window after the scheduled time - we're currently working on a patch for this and hope to have it resolved in 2.5.11