Suggest Totara Learn features

TL-6306 - Tin Can / xAPI

Simon Coggins
TL-6306 - Tin Can / xAPI
by Simon Coggins - Monday, 30 March 2015, 12:28 PM
Group Totara

The "Experience API" is a hot topic in eLearning circles so we are keen to start gathering requirements in terms of integration with Totara LMS. Do you need a LRS (Learning Record Store) integrated into Totara, or just integrations with an external system? What exactly would an integration look like, and what 3rd party products would you want to integrate with?

If anyone is able to share detailed requirements as to what they need when xAPI is mentioned in this thread, that would be really useful to help us understand the needs in this space.

Simon

(Edited by Tom Ireland - original submission Tuesday, 31 March 2015, 8:28 AM - Updated tracker reference in subject.)

Steve Lowenthal
Re: 14283 Tin Can / xAPI
by Steve Lowenthal - Monday, 30 March 2015, 1:21 PM
Group Partners

I think the key is to be able to run reports against xAPI data with Report Builder -- the value of xAPI is the insight to be gained from the data analytics.    Whether this is achieved via an integration or external system is less important.  

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Monday, 30 March 2015, 2:47 PM
Group Totara

Thanks Steve,

So where does the xAPI data come from? Is it being pulled into Totara from an external LRS so you can report within Totara, or is it created and stored within Totara when learning events occur, or something else?

Simon

Steve Lowenthal
by Steve Lowenthal - Monday, 30 March 2015, 3:18 PM
Group Partners

I think in the short term, since so few organizations have an LRS an integrated solution will make the most sense. Of course, as the LRS market matures, being able to integrate with external systems will probably become more important.

Thanks!

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Monday, 30 March 2015, 3:50 PM
Group Totara

So given that all events are logged via the system log, what is the different between the report builder site logs report and the xAPI report that you would like to see?

Is it just that the events are logged in a way that meets the xAPI standard? Or is there something fundamentally different about the data in the report? Or is it improved filtering of that data?

Simon

Steve Lowenthal
by Steve Lowenthal - Monday, 30 March 2015, 6:24 PM
Group Partners

It's the ability to track behavior within the module itself, e.g. clicks, responses, etc...

This forum post has been removed
Monday, 30 March 2015, 10:18 PM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Tuesday, 31 March 2015, 10:43 AM
Group Totara

That's exactly the kind of specific feedback I was after, thanks Amir for taking the time to explain your thoughts.

Obviously the scope to implement all of the above is quite large. If we were to start tackling parts of this, where would your priorities lie?

Simon

Tuesday, 31 March 2015, 2:44 PM
Rickard Skiold
by Rickard Skiold - Tuesday, 31 March 2015, 10:37 PM

I agree fully with this approach. As I understand it, it would mean that we in the short term can provide a solution for launching and tracking for e.g. Storyline via Tin Can, by using the Articulate Mobile Player app for iPad, and also to be able to benefit from more of the potential in Tin Can later on. 

//Rickard

Jani Lemmetyinen
by Jani Lemmetyinen - Thursday, 4 February 2016, 4:57 AM

Big +1 for this feature :-)

Articulate Storyline is widely used among our clients - what we really need is a support for launch and track Articulate Mobile Player contents (iPad/Android), and get data reported into Totara, similar way than SCORM data.

Best regards,

Jani

Friday, 14 August 2015, 5:20 AM
Paul Lowndes
by Paul Lowndes - Wednesday, 2 November 2016, 8:52 AM
Group Most Helpful Contributor 2021

Hi

Just resurrecting this topic as it is an area we are looking more closely at.

Has there been any more progress towards Totara being able to work with xAPI?

In our context we are developing a central content repository where we publish once and distribute across multiple platforms and channels.

We would ideally like to be able to write to Totara as well as the LRS via xAPI

Any update from last year would be great.

Thanks

Paul

John Unnever
by John Unnever - Wednesday, 2 November 2016, 9:24 AM
Group Partners

I am also interested in this topic.    Are you guys already using xAPI in any way?

Tim Harding
Re: TL-6306 - Tin Can / xAPI
by Tim Harding - Monday, 13 March 2023, 4:34 AM
Group Partners

Hi,

As there doesn't seem to have been any progress with adding xAPI / cmi5 support to Totara, does anybody have any experience with using the Moodle plugins mentioned in https://totara.help/17/docs/configure-xapi-with-totara?

Do they work and are they stable and secure?

Thanks. 

David Dawson
by David Dawson - Wednesday, 15 March 2023, 5:10 AM

cmi5 support is what we need in Totara

The consensus seems to be that xAPI is unlikely to ever replace SCORM as the most widely-used standard, but that cmi5 probably will.

So well done to the Totara team for making the decision not to invest time and resources on xAPI :-)

However, for the company I work for, there are clear benefits of being able to use cmi5.

Even an "interim solution" keeping everything inside the LMS, and without a Learning Record Store, would have benefits for us, including:

• Being able to use several Actionable Units instead of a single large SCORM would allow for much better progress monitoring/reporting
  • The "learner" staying in one browser tab throughout a course would create a better user experience

In fact, we would probably prefer having such an "interim solution" first, so we can get used to how that works, before moving into the realms of external resources, offline learning and Learning Record Stores.

Our content creation tool (Articulate 360) claims to export cmi5 already, so we would love to see cmi5 appear on the roadmap for Totara.

Thanks all.

Dan Marsden
by Dan Marsden - Wednesday, 15 March 2023, 4:22 PM
Group Partners

I'm not convinced that cmi5 will properly "replace" SCORM either tbh... we're seeing more users interested in developing their content within the LMS platform itself or using browser-based content authoring tools like H5P instead of using standalone "desktop authoring tools" that generate zipped content packages. 

There are definitely some "nice things" about both cmi5 and Xapi, and it might make sense to improve support for them in Totara, but personally I'd like to see better authoring tools built into the LMS itself.