Best practice forum (Archived)

Tracking completion of an off line course

Wendy Leversuch
Tracking completion of an off line course
by Wendy Leversuch - Tuesday, 18 December 2018, 2:37 AM

Hi

We have a large number of staff who are completing practical portfolios/professional qualifications (can take 1-3 years) and  I'd like to track their progress via Totara.

Each portfolio is broken down into sections and I'd like to be able to track when each section is signed off.  I've been having a play around and its easy to create a course and each topic can be a section, but I'm struggling to come up with to best way to track completion.

I'd need to be able to pull this into a report (we also have Totara linked to tableau as an option) so I can see an overview of completion status of all users on the course.  I

The options so far are:

• Set a quiz where the user answers yes when its complete.
  • Set an assignment (problem with this is that each user will have a different person overseeing the portfolio so managing the teacher element could be a hassle)

To add a layer of complication, I'd like to be able to track the start date (there is a date of issue of the portfolio from an external body) and a target completion date (personalised for each user).  Again ins format that can be pulled out in a report with the completion data so I can see who is on track and who is behind.

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Wendy

Craig Eves
Re: Tracking completion of an off line course
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 18 December 2018, 2:46 PM
Group Totara

Hi Wendy

It is possible to set activity completion conditions  and then make the activity part of the course completion conditions.

Once this is setup for your activities then there is a course report 'Activity completion' that shows the completion status and date completed for all activities when downloaded into a spreadsheet

There isn't a report builder report that displays the activity completion dates - the course completion report shows the date started for the course and also the activity progress .

Regards

Wendy Leversuch
by Wendy Leversuch - Thursday, 20 December 2018, 1:03 AM

Thanks Craig,  I think I've got the framework sorted.

I've been looking at the Totara scheme and there's a table called mdl_course_info_data which has the description 'Custom course fields data'.  I was thinking if I could use this  and create a field for the target completion date which I could then pull it through to an external report via tableau.

Only problem is I've no idea where to find the custom course fields!  

Thanks

Wendy

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 20 December 2018, 2:02 PM
Group Totara

Hi Wendy

Course custom fields can be created - use the date/time type. This is a per course value rather than per course/user value.

Any report source that has the course table included in it will have the custom field added as a column in the Report builder.

Regards