Best practice forum (Archived)

Anyone else going it alone?

Jo Lowe
Anyone else going it alone?
by Jo Lowe - Wednesday, 6 February 2013, 8:18 PM

Hi All

Just throwing this out to see if anyone else is putting Totara in place on their own (or is no-one that stupid!).

We're a small engineering consultancy company (about 100 people) so due to budgetary constraints, we've set up our Totara by hosting it ourselves and setting it up ourselves too.  So no Totara partner etc.  I don't have a programming background, rather in training, and our IT support is via an external consultancy who basically load the Totara into our IT system.

Anyone else done this?  I don't recommend it by the way - it's been really hard as Totara is so complex and I was running around in circles for a lot of the time. 

In the end we had to buy 5 hours of support from a partner to just work through the problems/isssues we were having getting our SCORM to run properly.  As we're in farfarawayland (Perth, Western Australia) we did that remotely with Kineo using Gotomeeting audio/screen conferencing so that we could have audio and both see my screen. There's no way I could have got our Totara running without that - Craig Ives was wonderfully patient as I put him on the spot time and time again, but he got it all running just the way we wanted it.

Anyway, anyone else in a small company, gone it alone or thinking of going it alone?

Cheers.

Jo

Andy Kirk (Totara)
Re: Anyone else going it alone?
by Andy Kirk (Totara) - Wednesday, 6 February 2013, 10:55 PM

Hi Jo, There might be some like minded people in a similar situation in this thread https://totara.community/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=17247

Cheers Andy

Jo Lowe
Re: Anyone else going it alone?
by Jo Lowe - Wednesday, 6 February 2013, 11:04 PM

Hi Andy

Thanks for that, I think I did come across that thread but the companies all were much larger/doing it with partners so I didn't introduce myself there.

Thanks anyway.

Jo