Best practice forum (Archived)

Capabilities around viewing custom profile fields in reports

Michelle Ames
Capabilities around viewing custom profile fields in reports
by Michelle Ames - Thursday, 6 June 2013, 5:08 AM
Group Partners

Hello

In Totara 1.0 my client was using 2 custom user profile fields set as "visible to user". Their Local HR Manager role was able to see these 2 fields in their Elearning Status Report. Since the upgrade to 2.2 the 2 fields have vanished as columns in the report for the Local HR Manager (still there for the admins). I cannot find a way to bring these columns back without setting the user profile fields to "visible to everyone" (see attached). This isnt ideal as we dont want other learners to see sensitive info about other users. Is there any way round this, am i missing a capabililty somewhere? Thanks for your advice.

Michelle

me
Re: Capabilities around viewing custom profile fields in reports
by George Angus - Thursday, 6 June 2013, 5:28 PM
Group Totara

Hi Michelle,

Set the profile fields to "Not visible". Then go to permissions, define roles and tick "View user full information" .

This should do the job.

cheers,

George.

Michelle Ames
by Michelle Ames - Friday, 7 June 2013, 12:38 AM
Group Partners

Thanks George, I did try setting the 2 fields to "not visible", then I went to the local HR manager role and allowed the permission (it was already set to allow) - but no luck - the columns are still missing in the report. Sorry - any other ideas?

Thanks for your help

Michelle

me
by George Angus - Sunday, 9 June 2013, 4:39 PM
Group Totara

Hi Michelle,

Could you send me a screenshot of the permissions for the role? It could be some permutation is causing this.

cheers,

George.

Michelle Ames
by Michelle Ames - Tuesday, 18 June 2013, 3:25 AM
Group Partners

Hi George. I've added the attached document showing the full list of permissions for the local HR manager role. Towards the end is also the permissions for the Global Trainer role - this is to do with the other ticket that I logged: https://totara.community/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=17501  Thanks for your help, Michelle

me
by George Angus - Wednesday, 19 June 2013, 9:23 PM
Group Totara

Hi Michelle,

Sorry for the dealy - Ive submitted a bug report for this, someone will be in touch shortly,

regards,

George.

Michelle Ames
by Michelle Ames - Thursday, 27 June 2013, 3:58 AM
Group Partners

Thank you George

Yes, if you could get back to me that would be much appreciated. Just let me know if any more info is needed.

Michelle

Oleg Demeshev
by Oleg Demeshev - Wednesday, 3 July 2013, 9:28 PM
Group Totara

Hi Michelle,

This issue is assigned to me. I try to reproduce your report but I'm not cleary sure where I have to look. Is it a custom report which you created under Site admin > Reports > Report builder > Manage reports ? If so, can you send me more details, please, what is a source did you use, what are the columns/filters/content/access and etc? 

Kind regards

Oleg

Michelle Ames
by Michelle Ames - Monday, 8 July 2013, 3:52 AM
Group Partners

Hi Oleg - ive attached screenshots of the report set up. Please let me know what else you need to see?

Many thanks for your help, Michelle

Oleg Demeshev
by Oleg Demeshev - Monday, 8 July 2013, 3:43 PM
Group Totara

Hi Michelle,

On the screenshot I see a problem, under "General" tab, your "Source" is the [[sourcetitle]], which, I guess, you got it after the upgrade. I think you need to fix it first by creating a new report, same as a current one but with a proper source. I don't know will it fix your problem with the fields but at least one issue less. Keep a current report. To create a new report go to Site administration > Reports > Report builder > Manage reports > New Report. Select a source from dropdown list. Apply all setting from your current report to a new one. Test the report and check if it helped with the fields. Another thing I noticed that you created the new role: Local HR Manager. Can you send me the settings of this role, please? To get them go to  Site administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles.

Regards

Oleg

Michelle Ames
by Michelle Ames - Monday, 15 July 2013, 2:23 AM
Group Partners

Thanks Oleg

I will try to re-create the report to see if that changes anything. In the meantime, please see a few comments further up where I have attached Check permissions in System_localHRmanager.docx - this will show you the list of permissions for the Local HR Manager role.

Thanks, Michelle

Michelle Ames
by Michelle Ames - Monday, 15 July 2013, 2:55 AM
Group Partners

I re-created the report using the standard SCORM source but unfortunately it did not help with the fields. The Local HR manager can still only view the 2 custom profile fields in the report if those fields are set to "Visible to everyone"

This is contrary to how it was prior to the upgrade to 2.2.

Please let me know if you spot anything in the permissions that could be affecting this.

Thank you

Michelle

Oleg Demeshev
by Oleg Demeshev - Sunday, 28 July 2013, 4:20 PM
Group Totara

Hi Michelle,

Really sorry for the dealy - Yes, I spotted an issue in the permissions, change the "View hidden user fields" to yes ("Allow"). Please let me know how it works for you.

Kind regards,

Oleg

Oleg Demeshev
by Oleg Demeshev - Wednesday, 2 October 2013, 3:40 PM
Group Totara

Hi Michelle,

Since we had no updates on this support request for two months, I will consider it finished and will close it. Please feel free to reopen if this is still an outstanding issue for you and we'll try our best to help you.

Kind regards

Oleg